"That's kind of you but I'll be fine."

She pouts. "I was going to get something from that small shop around the corner for lunch anyway. Just come with me, we can eat together."

Tyler was about to decline again but she flashes a dazzling smile at him and bats her eyes. He feels a weird feeling in his stomach but he brushed it off as hunger.

"Okay, sure. Thank you, Laura."

"Don't mention it." she responds as she smiles triumphantly. She's been told that a combination of batting her eyes and smiling can persuade anyone to do anything.

* *
Maadwoa and Gifty sit in Gifty's living room, stuffing their mouths with ice cream as they converse with each other. Gifty's father was outside making a call, while her mother was in the kitchen making lunch for the guests that were coming over, which happened to be Mr. Benson and his family. Maadwoa did not want to intrude on a family gathering but Mr and Mrs Badu insisted that Maadwoa stay to have lunch with them, so she couldn't decline the offer.

"Danny called me this morning." Maadwoa says after licking the ice cream off her lips.

"Did he talk to that witch?" Gifty asks, putting a spoonful of the dessert in her mouth.

"Yes. He told me that they got into an argument and she doesn't want to leave me alone until he stops hanging out with me."

That morning, Danny had called her to say that he spoke to Afia and she was adamant about keeping Maadwoa away from him. Maadwoa felt down about that in the morning and Danny noticed the sudden change in her tone. Everyone was against their relationship and now she has a personal bully because of it. Danny assured her that he wouldn't let Afia do anything to her and he suggested that they restrict their communication to being over the phone so that there is a reduced chance of Afia following them. She reluctantly agreed to it, thinking about how much she'd miss seeing him. On the other hand, she was still uneasy about Afia's relentless desire to harass her.

"What is her problem? What type of person doesn't want their friend to be happy? If she comes here again, she will have me to deal with." Gifty threatens, stabbing her spoon into the innocent ice cream.

"Danny told me we should stick to only talking over the phone until this whole Afia fiasco blows over." Maadwoa informs her.

Gifty sucks her teeth. "Now you can't even see your man because of this girl."

The dark skinned girl shrugs. "I know right? But I guess it's for my safety. And sanity."

The front door opens and Mr. Badu walks in with a jovial laugh. The girls avert their attention to the door where they see Mr. Badu being followed by Mr. Benson, another woman, and a little boy. Maadwoa quicky gathered that the other two people must be his wife and son.

"Honey, we're home!" the woman calls with a grin on her face. Mrs Badu runs into the living room from the kitchen, wiping her hands with a rag.

"Auntie Vera!" Gifty exclaims, running to her aunt and throwing her hands around her. Vera giggles, returning the hug to the petite girl.

"Gifty! Look at how tall you are now!" she gushes, stepping back to admire her niece.

"Auntie, I've been the same height for four years now." Gifty responds with a giggle.

"I know, but it's not a proper reunion unless someone says it." Vera retorts with a laugh.

"So you haven't seen me or your cousin?" Mr Benson questions jokingly.

"Oh Uncle, you know I see you everyday." she says, also leaning in to hug him. Then she grabs the little boy and tries to pick him up. "Johnny, I've missed you too. You're so big now, I can't even carry you."