58

"We're under attack!" Kai screamed through the pack link into Calix's mind.

Calix immediately got up from where he was laying beside his confused mate, his fear bursting through the roof. He couldn't shift with Zakai being silent, but he couldn't leave his pack to fight his battles for him.

"What's wrong?" Kegan asked, looking at Calix in terror.

"Have you seen who's attacking us?" Calix asked, locking his windows and carrying his mate to their walk in closet and laying him down there so he'd be hidden. "How many are there?"

"Calix! What's going on?!"

He didn't respond, but Kai soon ran into Calix's room with Astra, their two pups, Oliver and Alex trailing behind. With out speaking, Calix guided the children and Astra to his closet and had them hide there. She gave an explanation to Kegan before turning to Calix for help.

"I can't shift," Calix said, to which Kai nodded.

"I know. The doctor told me as she was leaving. It doesn't matter right now; Leon's leading the group and he's heading toward the prison. I think he's going to free Tan and Luke, so I'm going to stop them. The rest of the pack is fighting a small group that ambushed, but it's only fifteen or so warriors," she said as they ran out the door of the bedroom and to the store room at the back of the house. "I don't know why they're attacking with such a small group."

Calix growled. "He's always got another plan, the bastard," he grumbled as he rummaged through a safe in their store room and grabbed a sword.

Usually their wolves were the strongest weapons, but without one Calix would have to rely on his sheer abilities of sword fighting. He just hoped it wouldn't lead to his death; there was no way he was leaving Kegan behind in the world.

"I need to talk to my mate real quick," Kai said, running off to the room as Calix ran outside.

There were shrieks outside as children ran away to hide and Omegas who didn't fight tried to find their mates and figure out what to do. The warriors were already fighting a group of people, and while they were caught off guard, Calix hadn't felt the pain of losing a pack mate yet, so he trusted them to protect themselves.

He ordered the warriors not fighting to scout the pack for any remaining enemies, running toward the fight to help a young warrior who was clearly just trying to help but still not fully trained.

"Leon's gone! He tried to kill Luke and Tan!" Kai suddenly yelled through the mind link.

Calix stabbed the wolf in front of him, barely dodging the sharp claws before it fell to the ground and died. He ordered his warrior to go find any scared pups and get them to the pack house where it was safe.

"What did you do with Tan and Luke?" Calix asked, growling when Kai didn't respond.

He knew that both Alphas were weak due to the collars on them, and without the keys, freeing them so they could heal was out of the question, but that didn't bother him. If they died, they deserved it.

Soon enough, the small group of enemies were either dead or restrained; thankfully no one in his own pack had been killed, but there were several injured wolves limping toward the doctor's home so they could be healed. Most were in their wolf form, but some were shifted back, groaning in pain as they tried to stop their bleeding.

"Alpha!" Tali called, catching up to Calix. "Have you seen my children?! They were playing in the field and I-"

"They're at the pack house with Kegan and Astra," Calix said, hugging his pack mate to soothe her. "Kai brought them there at the start of the battle."

Tali sighed in relief. "Thank you."

Calix nodded. "Of course. Some of their warriors are still alive. Once they've been healed and shift back, I want you and Lys in interrogations. There's no point in sending a small group in to the pack... they aren't stupid enough to think they'd succeed."

"Yes, Alpha," Tali said, bowing to him slightly. "What will you do?"

"I need to find out what Kai did with Luke and Tan, whether they're dead or injured in the forest trying to escape," he said, making Tali's face fall. "What's wrong?"

Tail shrugged. "Tan... he was one of my best friends. He was everyone's friend... I don't think he's a traitor," she said, glaring at Calix.

"I told you what he did to Kegan."

"I don't think he was intending to be malicious. He's got a good heart, but he doesn't always think things through," she said, eyes pleading with Calix to believe her.

He simply shook his head and walked back toward the pack house. No part of Calix wanted to see Tan or Luke, much less think about them and wonder if they really had good intentions. Personally, Calix would never take away an Omega's ability to reproduce without them making the choice first; it was inhumane, and many Omegas felt as though their purpose was to be parents. They were the ones blessed with the ability to have children, after all.

When Calix arrived back at the pack house, he found Kai and Astra making dinner on the stove for the pack pups who were all over the house, most of them curled up against each other in fear of what had just happened. There were a few trying to play, but even those pups looked as though they wished they were back home with their parents.

"May I have everyone's attention?" Calix called, making all of the pups look at him with wide eyes. "I just want all of you to know that no one was taken by the moon goddess today, but some of your parents have small cuts that the doctors are healing."

The pups all broke out into grins, hugging each other and chattering happily. They were taught that the moon goddess took their parents and friends when their time on earth was done, so that's how they referred to death so the children didn't have to understand killing and murder at a young age. Some of the pups ran up to Calix, holding their hands up to be lifted up, which he did without hesitation, tossing pups in the air and catching them before sending them away to play with their friends.

Suddenly, a scent caught in Calix's nose. He let out a low growl, scaring some of the pups as he followed the scent up the stairs and to Tan and Luke's room. It smelled too strongly like them, and he shoved the door open to find the two wolves, without their collars, laying on the bed.

"How the hell did you two get here?" Calix demanded, making the pair shrink back further into the room. "Answer me!"

"Kai freed us!" Tan said, grabbing Luke's hand. "We would've been killed if not for her!"

Calix glared at them. "Why would she bring you here?"

"Ask your mate," Luke said gruffly, wincing and gripping a slowly healing wound on his stomach. "Kai said he's the one who begged her to free us and told the guards that you gave permission. We didn't do anything but follow along!"

"Kegan and Kai helped you?!"

Luke and Tan both nodded, but remained silent. The shame was evident in their faces, clearly recognizing the tenseness they'd brought to the pack house.

Calix sighed. "I want you downstairs in thirty minutes when dinner is served. If you're not traitors then I need you two to help me figure out Leon's plan."

Both Luke and Tan instantly agreed, thanking him, but Calix stopped them.

"This is not forgiveness. I will never forgive you for what you've done to my mate. He should've gotten to make a choice that great on his own and you took it away from him, and now the change is irreversible... unless the witch helps us."

Luke laughed dryly. "She's dead," he said sadly. "I'm sorry, we were really just trying to help Luna Kegan."

Calix glared at them once more before turning to the door. "The worst part is I know you were trying to help, but in doing that you've taken away his choice. We saved him and gave him the opportunity to make choices, so how do you think he feels knowing that he doesn't even get to do that now?" he asked, not waiting for a response as he left the room.