43

Calix left the pack house without a worry in his mind. Sure, Zakai was livid that he had to leave his mate, but he was settling down and understood that it was for the good of their pack. He made it to the clearing where their pack trained and shifted, approaching the group.

Since they'd be fighting any battles in their wolf forms, they were all training in that form. It was harder to hurt a wolf and battling as a human was asking to be killed. Even if humans could wield weapons, it was no match for a wolf. Especially a pissed off one.

Alpha Jonas was leading the trainings, since it was still his pack. He also knew that Kegan was nearing his heat and Calix would feel vulnerable if he left a pack mate that hadn't had the training to be an Alpha in charge.

"Good morning," Jonas said through their pack link to all of the wolves present. "Let's make this training session a good one. Calix, you're paired with Luke today."

Jonas went on to give pairings to the other wolves in the pack, but Calix ignored him and made his way over to his new pack mate.

He still didn't like Luke, especially in the pack house, but he tolerated him. He wouldn't kill Luke during training, but he'd make sure to kick his ass. Calix knew that Luke was a good warrior and was loyal to his pack, but whenever he saw his brown wolf, he could only see the wolf that attacked his mate and hurt him.

"I can see that look in your eye," Jonas scolded on a two way pack link between him and Calix. "You hurt that wolf and you'll be answering to me."

"It's training. I'm supposed to hurt him," Calix responded.

Jonas growled. "You know what I mean."

Calix huffed but obeyed, growling as Luke sauntered over to him.

Luke's wolf was grinning, and Calix felt himself tense as he snarled back.

"Relax, Alpha," Luke said, laughter in his tone. "I'm on your side."

"That doesn't mean anything to me. We're training and I see you as an enemy right now."

"Still mad at me?"

Calix huffed once again, his teeth bared. "I never stopped being mad at you."

"Prove it," Luke ordered, hair raised and eyes mixed with his and his wolf's dark eye color. "You're a good warrior but you're not as good as two combined packs that are training ruthlessly in order to defeat us."

Calix snarled and lunged, only for Luke to knock him down, pinning him in seconds.

"I'm surprised you beat me the first time," Luke said, letting him up and dodging another attack. "Then again, your mate was there and you had a whole pack behind you."

"Stop talking," Calix ordered, but Luke ignored him.

"I may not be your Alpha, but I have things to say to you," Luke sneered, snapping at Calix and barely missing his side. "You lack composure. Keep letting your emotions get the best of you and Leon will stomp all over you."

Calix shook his head and dove at Luke, biting his side. Most of the time his enemies went down with an Alpha biting them, but Luke was an Alpha, too.

Instead of flipping over and showing his stomach, Luke bit back, pulling on his ear and managing to throw Calix off balance. He then attacked, grabbing Calix's neck and holding him still.

"You've never been a war, pup," Luke said, climbing off of Calix and sitting down across from him. "Alphas in war won't stand down because you show off your teeth."