12

Calix spent the rest of Kegan's heat pacing in his office. After spending one night with his mate, both Calix and his wolf were completely in love with the boy and couldn't stand the fact that he had come from an abusive pack.

Kai had told Calix after the attack that Kegan needed to be alone for the rest of his heat. She explained that Astra could sense his wolf's sadness and helplessness, rooting from the fact that Kegan felt as though he didn't get a choice in how his life would go.

It had resulted in a raging fit from Calix and a dent in the wall, angry with how Kegan's previous packs had destroyed him to the point that he felt as though his life was predetermined. He only stopped his fit when Kai told him that Kegan could sense it and was panicking.

So, he slept in the office away from his mate. It was his appearance that had somehow caused the strange sobbing fit that Kegan had, so he didn't want to bother the Omega.

That, and all Zakai wanted to do was pounce on their mate and claim him.

"You know you want to see him moaning beneath us," Zakai said as Calix tried to focus on finishing his coffee and a few emails he had to send to other packs in the western packs.

"Shut it, Zakai," Calix warned, typing up a message. "He's not ready for that yet."

"Then make him let Jade take over! Jade is ready for it."

Calix growled, resting his head in his palm. "Do you really want to terrify our poor mate? Whether Jade is ready or not is beside the point. Kegan thinks we're a monster who's going to treat him like all of the other wolves in his past! Why don't we gain his trust first?"

"Ask forgiveness, not permission," Zakai said, though Calix could hear the joking in his tone. "He's almost done with his heat. Why don't you take him to breakfast? Then, when he's done, we leave him here with Astra and take our army and destroy the Red Claw and North River pack!"

Calix laughed at his wolf's statement. He too would enjoy destroying the packs that hurt his mate, but that would only scare Kegan. So, Calix decided that Zakai was right.

Breakfast was a good start.

He mind linked Astra, who had spent the peak and end of Kegan's heat in the room with him to help calm him down, asking if his heat was finished.

"There's still heat scent on him, but the worst of it has passed," Astra reported, sound proud and relieved. "Poor boy is a twig. He could use some food."

"I was going to take him to the diner. Think that's a good idea?" Calix asked, seeking Astra's advice.

Astra was the only Omega that Calix was close to and trusted, so he valued her advice almost as much as he valued Kai's.

"Yeah, he could use some fresh air. I mean, I think he could. I can't really tell with him... heats are terribly painful, but he barely winced, even during his peak!"

Calix just told Astra that he'd be a few minutes before asking Kegan to breakfast, pondering the situation as he put on his own clothes. He didn't feel right telling Astra about how Kegan was quite literally bullied into silence during his heats and that he had to learn to tolerate the pain for safety purposes.

It wasn't his story to tell.

After changing into a new set of clothes, Calix made his way to his bedroom door. He knocked on the door, not wanting to walk in on Kegan and embarrass or scare his mate.

"Who is it?" Astra's voice called, though Calix knew she knew it was him.

"It's Calix. Can I come in?"

The door opened and Kegan stood on the other side, eyes focused on the floor. It was strange to Calix how submissive and shy he was being, especially since he had experienced a few of Kegan's unexpected outbursts. He was at least expecting Kegan to look up when he opened the door.

Calix grabbed Kegan's chin in his hand, gently tilting the Omega's head up so their eyes were locked.

"You have such pretty eyes," Calix complimented, stroking Kegan's cheek with his thumb and admiring the blush that settled over the Omega's face. "Please don't hide them from me."

Kegan didn't respond, but he nodded hesitantly.

"Would you like to go out for breakfast?" Calix asked, releasing Kegan's chin and feeling a sense of pride run through him when Kegan didn't immediately bow his head.

"Uh, sure?" Kegan asked, clearly uncomfortable and nervous.

Calix felt his heart ache for his mate. "You don't have to say yes, love. If you'd rather stay here that's okay. I'm not going to force you," he said, feeling even worse when Kegan dropped his eyes to the ground.

"I want to go," Kegan said, his voice hushed. "But I, uh, will the Alpha who attacked me be there?"

"Of course not," Calix promised, smiling brightly and mind linking Tan to ask him to steer clear of the diner. "I'll let you get dressed and you can meet me out here when you're ready?"

Kegan nodded and smiled, and it seemed genuine. He closed the door behind him, and Calix let out a breath of relief.

Maybe Kegan wasn't as broken as he thought.

The Omega clearly had trust issues and didn't know what it meant to be an Omega in a modernized pack, but he was also brave and strong. He managed to push down the pain of his heat and wasn't afraid to allow small outbursts, even if he fell into a small panic afterward.

If anything, the small spikes of anger that Kegan expressed made Calix proud. It showed that the Omega was either getting braver, more comfortable, or he trusted Calix. Or it could just be a response to fear, but Calix chose to be optimistic.

"He'll trust us," Zakai said encouragingly. "Just give him some time."

Calix agreed with his wolf, sitting down in the living room.

It was ten minutes later when Kegan emerged from the room, wearing a pair of jeans that must've been an old pair of Astra's and one of Calix's shirts.

"Astra said it was okay if I wear this," Kegan said, looking up shyly. "I can change if it isn't!"

Calix smiled at the Omega, wanting nothing more than to pull him into his lap and cover the rest of him with his scent.

"It's perfectly fine," he promised. "We'll go shopping for you soon, though, so you don't have to wear Astra's old jeans."

Kegan shook his head. "Uh, it's okay, Alpha. I'm perfectly content with wearing older clothes and I don't have any money, so-"

"Stop," Calix ordered, making Kegan fall silent instantly. He sighed, hating that his irritation toward Kegan's treatment always scared his mate. "I'm not upset with you, and I wouldn't have offered to buy you clothes if I didn't want to. I want to take care of you and show you how an Alpha should treat their mate."

Kegan looked up at him, making eye contact for the first time willingly. "You're not lying," he said, as if it was impossible to believe.

"No, I'm not," Calix confirmed, holding out his hand for Kegan to take. "I know it'll take time for you to trust me and I'll give you all of the time you need. You're safe now and no one will ever force anything on you here. I want to protect you and to be the best mate I can be, and I will never lay an abusive hand on you."

Kegan's heart swelled at the sweet words, and he couldn't sense a lie or malicious intent in Calix's words. He took a deep breath and grabbed Calix's hand, leaning his head on his shoulder.

"Okay, Alpha," he whispered, hoping he'd be able to trust Calix enough to take a risk.

"Kegan?"

"Hm?"

"Please, just call me Calix."