14

After they stuffed themselves with pastries, Calix and Kegan left the diner, Lys waving and calling for them to use protection. That left Kegan blushing and Calix laughing quietly at his mate's red face.

"Alpha?" Kegan asked before shaking his head. "I'm sorry, I meant Calix."

"It's fine, no need to apologize," Calix said, taking Kegan's hand in his own. "What is it?"

"Do you and your wolf have a good relationship?"

Calix paused in his tracks, thinking of how to explain their relationship. The stop in their walk made Kegan panic, thinking he'd done something wrong.

"You don't have to answer the question, it's up to you, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm prodding and I'll accept any punishment that you have to-"

"Stop," Calix said, grabbing both of Kegan's hands and holding them in his own. "I was just thinking about what to say. You haven't offended me and you're not prodding, and I will never lay an abusive hand on you. I'm glad you are asking me questions and there's nothing wrong with asking your mate things that you're curious about."

Kegan nodded. "Okay," he whispered, stealing a look at his mate's captivating face, before pausing at his eyes.

They were their normal blue, but there were gold around the pupil, showing Calix's wolf was present and near the surface. Kegan assumed the wolf had come out during Calix's tangent, probably because of Kegan's fear of Calix and his reaction to the questions.

"Let's go sit in the garden," Calix said, pulling Kegan along with him as he began to walk again.

"Garden?"

"My mother loves flowers and we have good soil, so for her birthday some of my pack mates and I built it. There's a bunch of flowers and plants, some benches, and it's built in the middle of a grove of trees so it's more peaceful."

"That sounds so wonderful," Jade cooed, purring against the walls of Kegan's mind. "Maybe if there's no one there, he can fuck us over a garden bench."

Kegan blushed at his wolf words, shaking his head. "Are wolves always so sexual?" he asked, making Calix laugh.

"Yeah, I'm convinced that it's their defining trait," Calix said, grinning. "Zakai won't shut up."

"Neither will Jade."

Calix hummed. "He's got a few non-sexual things right, though."

Kegan raised an eyebrow. "What's that?" he asked, looking up at his mate.

"You're the most beautiful Omega in this world and we're completely head over heels for you."

Kegan couldn't help the grin that took over his face, Jade purring inside of his mind. His Alpha, his mate, the person he was supposed to trust and love for his entire life thought he was beautiful.

"Come on," Calix said, guiding Kegan through a gate in the middle of a grove of trees.

It was mid spring, so all of the flowers appeared to be blooming. There were so many colors and shapes that captivated Kegan's attention. He pulled away from Calix and went to admire a ball shaped pink flower which was actually made up of tinier flowers.

"That's called an armeria," Calix said, sitting at a bench placed under an arch weaved with wisteria. "My mother loves them."

Kegan touched the small flowers, smiling to himself. "I've never seen such a beautiful garden," he said, walking over to the bench and cautiously sitting beside Calix, ready to jump away should the Alpha suddenly get angry.