36

Kegan was stuck where he had been for the last three hours; Leon's bedroom. He hated the room, hated the scent, hated everything. He'd already looked at the windows and found out how he could climb down the pack house; something he didn't have the guts to do before.

He needed to wait for Tan's okay... he couldn't just run and leave Tan and Luke to fend for themselves. It'd spoil the whole plan and he couldn't stand to see a pack mate and a friend hurt because of him. He couldn't let anyone else be hurt because of him... especially after learning that he was the cause of his own mother's death.

"You know we couldn't control that," Jade snarled, irritated that Kegan hadn't tried to escape yet. "Tan and Luke will be fine. They'll stay on the inside and you can run!"

"I'm not even sure we should go back," Kegan said in a strangely defeated tone.

Jade was appalled. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?! We are going back to our mate and he is going to protect us and we're going to be the Luna of that pack! Why would we stay here?" he demanded to know, growing more and more angry.

Kegan sat down on the bed, tears in his eyes. "I don't want to guide their damn warriors back to the people we care about. And I never said we should just stay here..."

"What are you saying, Kegan? You need to explain so I can tell you to stop being an idiot!"

"Everywhere we go, fear and pain follows. My mom is dead because of me, Calix needs to protect us instead of focusing on his pack, and we defied what he wanted in order to be here. The reason that Leon needs to teach a lesson is because we got away, so if we left-"

"STOP RIGHT NOW!" Jade bellowed With surprising energy and strength. "Our mate protected us. He loves us. Do you really want to let him down by taking off because you're too scared to face the world? Get over it and let's go home to our mate, give him the information, and destroy this pack before they hurt us!"

For the first time, Jade reduced Kegan to silence. He sat on the bed, jaw dropped in astonishment at how confident and stubborn his wolf was.

"You promised you wouldn't let Leon hurt us," Jade said in a softer tone, pleased that he seemed to have gotten through to his counterpart. "Please let us leave. We can go home."

"Home," Kegan murmured, feeling his tears fall down his cheeks. "I have a home."

"Yes, you do. We have a home. Our home is with Calix."

"Thank you, Jade," Kegan thought gratefully, opening his bag that he thankfully had gotten to keep with him.

He pulled out one of Calix's shirts and held it to his nose, inhaling the wonderful scent of his mate before taking out the knife. Under no circumstance would Kegan let Leon overpower him again. He was going to fight back and escape. If Tan and Luke didn't catch up, they'd be able to stay as spies.

The door to the room opened and Leon walked in, sweaty and yawning. He'd clearly just been training or working out, and Kegan knew that he could use that to his advantage.

"What do you have?" Leon asked, seeing Kegan clutching Calix's shirt in his fist.

Thankfully his knife was folded up and he was able to push it into his pocket unnoticed.

"What is that?" Leon asked once again, approaching and crowding Kegan's space, reaching for the shirt.

"If he takes that shirt, we're cutting off his balls," Jade snarled with venom in his tone.

"Uh, A-Alpha Calix's shirt," Kegan said quietly, looking at the floor and trying to play the innocent Omega role. "I, uh, brought them with me f-for my heat. It helps me relax."