05

Kegan had been at Leon's pack house for over a month when his preheat hit. He'd been very well behaved for the course of the month, but he didn't know how his wolf would react during his heat.

During heat, Kegan's wolf often took the lead and helped him to protect himself when he was the most vulnerable. He was terrified how his wolf would react during his first heat with an Alpha.

It was no secret that Kegan's wolf despised him for not trying to escape or fight back against Leon. Unlike Kegan, his wolf hadn't given up hope yet, and he wanted nothing more than to fight as hard as possible to escape and find his mate.

Kegan shook his head at his wolf's determination, walking to Leon's closet and looking around. He needed nesting materials, but nothing that smelled like Leon appealed to him.

So, he chose a few T-shirts that Leon rarely wore so they offered some kind of comfort but didn't make Kegan or his wolf want to tear them up and run.

Someone knocked on the door and Kegan hissed, unable to stop it. The door opened and Kegan saw someone that he actually liked on the other side.

Her name was Tali, and she was a Beta. She'd started working as a servant about a week after Kegan had arrived in the pack. She didn't have a distinct scent, which Kegan found strange, but it didn't really matter to him either way.

Tali was nice to him, so he accepted her and liked her being around.

Leon noticed this when he found Kegan sniffing around the mansion trying to find her when he finally let Kegan have free reign of the mansion about three weeks in.

Due to this, Leon assigned Tali to take care of Kegan during the day and to make sure he was eating during his preheat. Oftentimes, when Omegas didn't have their Alpha present, a Beta or Omega being around could comfort them and keep them from feeling rejected.

"Hissing at me, Kegan?" Tali asked, holding a tray of fruit. "Pretty aggressive of you."

Kegan stopped his hissing and calmed down, smiling at Tali. "I missed you," he said as Tali sat beside him on the bed.

"Missed you too," Tali responded, handing him the tray.

Kegan shook his head. "I'm not hungry," he growled, putting the tray on the desk in the corner of the room.

Tali sighed. "You need to eat, Kegan," she said, watching the Omega as he tried to build his nest and make it as comfortable as possible, despite the unenjoyable scent.

"I don't want to," Kegan growled, being more aggressive than he ever had been with Tali. "I want to build my nest and I want a scent that I actually like!"

Tali looked at him sadly. She knew Kegan's situation and felt horrible for him. It hurt her to watch him try to organize his nest and his thoughts, only to fail because his true mate wasn't present.

"Tali?" Kegan asked, sitting uncomfortably in the middle of his nest.

Tali hummed, looking at the Omega. "What is it?" she asked, watching him rock back and forth, tears building in his eyes.

"I don't want to give my heat to the Alpha," he whispered. "I want to wait for my mate."

Tali sighed. "Don't worry, Kegan. It'll all work out," she promised, brushing loose strands of hair out of Kegan's face.

Kegan shook his head. "No it won't. My mate will never want me. I'm just a breeding tool," he said, the tears finally falling.

Tali growled at him. "Don't say that about yourself. Ever," she ordered, making Kegan shiver and lower his head in slight fear.