54

Kegan barely stopped Calix from pushing his way out of the room. "What's going on? Calix, you need to talk to me! I don't understand what you're saying and if there's an enemy in our land, calling a meeting will chase them away!" he exclaimed, standing in front of the door.

Calix shook his head, completely focused on the door as he tried to move Kegan out of the way. "It's not safe here unless we find out who's infiltrated!" he said, grabbing for the doorknob.

Kegan surged forward into Calix's arms, knocking the Alpha to the ground and sitting in his lap. He hugged Calix tightly so he couldn't get up without taking Kegan with him.

"Let go," Calix growled.

Stubbornly, Kegan shook his head against Calix's neck. "No," he murmured, feeling Calix relax a bit before tensing back up. "I need you to explain what's going on to me. Please, I can help."

"Fine," Calix mumbled, standing up and depositing Kegan on the bed. His eyes were glued to the door, ready to attack anyone who burst in. "Tell me about the night you were injected. I need scents, anything you can remember."

"It was two in the morning, I thought you were outside, but I didn't pick up any scent. Someone grabbed me from inside the house and someone else injected me. I only saw their eyes," Kegan said, tilting his head slightly.

Calix narrowed his eyes. "From inside the house?" he asked. "Was the door unlocked?"

"No... we all have keys so we lock it. Especially since we've been dealing with a potential attack," Kegan responded plainly, as if the details should have been obvious.

"Do you know who was in the house?"

Kegan gaped at him. "You think one of our closest friends is a traitor?" he asked in shock.

Calix looked at him intently. "I don't know, but I don't want to not suspect them and have it result in danger for you," he growled shallowly, picking up the tiny red disk. "And I don't think those were rogues who attacked me."

"Who do you think it is?"

"I don't know," Calix said. "Has anyone around here been acting weird?"

Kegan thought back to who he'd seen in his pack acting strange. His mind suddenly flashed back to the night Calix had been attacked when he went to get Tan and Luke. Their window had been opened... and the next day they were searching around the area where he'd found the red disk that Calix was holding.

He shook his head, trying to push away the thought of one of his best friends being a traitor. "That's impossible."

"What're you thinking?" Calix asked, making Kegan shudder at his own thoughts.

Kegan couldn't help the tears welling in his eyes, his throat tight. He felt sick to his stomach, trembling in anger and sadness.

"They wouldn't betray us!" Kegan cried, sobbing into his hands. "Calix, they wouldn't!"

"Who is it, love?"

"T-Tan and Luke!" Kegan gasped out, explaining the suspicions surrounding his friends that had occurred over he past few weeks. "I don't know how they could do that! They're my friends!"

Calix cradled Kegan in his arms, trying to soothe his mate. After seeing how distraught his mate was, Calix didn't feel right calling a pack meeting to accuse Tan and Luke. That conversation could be had in private.

"Shhh, it's okay," Calix cooed. "Traitors are meant to be deceiving, love."

"But... Tan grew up with you!"