1

The sky was a nauseating midnight purple, and it was so cold that the tips of his fingers were freezing from the inside of his cotton gloves. They were beginning to go numb before his victim came.

Finally someone turned over the corner near the alley in which he was waiting. He got in position and his breathing got heavier. It would only be the second time he was doing this.

Muffled footsteps soon became detailed and louder.

*click clack click clack*

She usually wore sneakers but today it sounded like she had some sort of hard heel. He slowly pulled his ski mask down until his eyes reflected the moonlight from the eye holes.

The footsteps got closer and closer. His heartbeat matched the rate at which she was walking. Sweat was being absorbed into his mask. It was surprising that she didn't catch his heavy breathing, it was terribly loud.

He pressed his back flat against the brick wall as she passed by. And when she did, she left a heavenly scent lingering behind. It only made him more eager to finally be able to take her.

He slowly began following, making sure to match her footsteps as to not alarm her. He was a few feet away from her, but he was so light on his feet that she couldn't even tell that she was being followed, not even in the silence of the night.

He took bigger steps to get closer to her. When finally he lunged at her with all his force and immediately covered her mouth. Her muffled screams sounded louder because of how quiet it had been.

He forgot to pull out the rag drenched with chloroform before lunging towards her. Luckily she was easy enough to handle with one hand. He held her in a chokehold so he would be able to pull out the rag.

Her struggling did slow him down a little bit but he finally managed to get it loose from his back pocket and immediately held it down to her face. The sweet but intoxicating aroma immediately made her go limp. Her head fell back slowly onto his chest. He took a deep breathe of victory.