Chapter 40

"Do you know what you're doing to her?" she asked quietly as Evelyn left the room. "She's been a changed woman since she met you."

Raymond smiled. "I hope I've made her happier—some of the time, at least."

"You have." Billie stared down at Raymond, her eyes deadly serious. "What are you gonna do with her?"

Raymond's brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Billie sighed. "This lovemaking is all very well and good, but it isn't stability. Evelyn needs stability. She needs a commitment. Can you give her that?"

"Yes." Raymond met Billie's gaze squarely. "I want to marry her." It was the first time he had spoken those words aloud, the first time he had given voice to a desire he, himself, had scarcely known existed. Yet, as he spoke those words aloud, he realized the utter and complete truth of them. Perhaps, deep down, he had always known, from the day he had first met Evelyn. Somehow, without realizing it, his soul, lost in the clamor and confusion of the world, had come home.

Billie pursed her lips. "How do I know you aren't just marryin' her for her money?"

"Because I'm not," Raymond said simply. "I love her, and I want to do right by her. I hope you can see that. And, if you can't see it now, I hope someday you will." His eyes, wide and earnest, looked up at Billie's, begging her to believe him.

For one long moment, Billie's eyes searched his, probing for any hint of insincerity. Finally, she dropped her gaze. "I believe you," she said quietly. "And I hope to God I'm not wrong. One thing," she cautioned as Raymond stood to leave. "Never let Miss Evelyn feel like you take her for granted. All her life, the people she's loved has left or hurt her. It doesn't take much to hurt her now or make her feel insignificant. If you marry her, she has to be the most important thing in your life. She needs someone to stand by her and lift her up and make her feel special. And she wants that someone to be you. Don't let her down."

"I won't," Raymond promised. "She is the most important thing in my life. I was a damn fool not to realize it sooner."

"Good." With a smile, Billie straightened Raymond's tie and jacket. "Go on now. Get back downstairs."

Outside in the hall, Evelyn pressed a hand to her mouth, tears sparkling in her eyes. Raymond had said he loved her! More than that, he had called her the most important thing in his life. So, she was not unlovable after all! Time and time again, Charlie had told her how unworthy of love she was, how no one but him would ever love her. And she had believed him. After all, she only had to look to her mother who had left her, to her father absent most of her childhood and unaware of anything important going on in her life, to her almost complete lack of childhood friends, to the absence of any young men in her life before Charlie and know his words were true. Somehow, through something she had inadvertently done, she had made herself unlovable. Even after she left Charlie, convincing herself that his words were only an act of manipulation and not the truth was nearly impossible. No matter what she told herself, in the back of her mind, she continued to believe what Charlie had said. But now—now, Raymond had said he loved her! In his quiet conversation with Billie, he had told Evelyn she had something she had desperately wanted to hear for years now. Knowing that he was unaware of her presence only made his words mean that much more, for Evelyn knew he was not simply trying to spare her feelings. Why, he—

The door opened, and Billie and Raymond stepped into the hall. "He's ready, Miss Evelyn," Billie said, casting an approving glance at Raymond, now stiff and neat once more. "You can go down now."

"Thank you, Billie." Evelyn nodded absently. "I'll see you later."

Billie nodded, first to Evelyn, then to Raymond. Then, turning, she slipped down the hallway and out of sight.