Chapter 25

"This may have been the strangest hour of my whole life," Raymond said an hour later. "Playing poker with a prostitute in a back-alley bedroom while pretending to be having sex."

Rose shrugged. "I've done stranger," she said, gathering up the deck of cards and replacing them under the mattress. "We can probably go out now."

"Ok." Raymond stood, preparing to unlock the bedroom door.

"Wait." Rose grabbed his arm. "You don't look nearly disheveled enough. I've just taken you to heaven and back, remember?" Quickly, she unbuttoned the top few buttons of his shirt and vest and shoved his tie into his back pocket. Then, running her hands through his hair, she worked it into a rumpled mess. "There," she said with satisfaction. "Now put your arm around me, and we can go."

Raymond complied and, imitating the stagger of a drunkard, he left the bedroom with Rose at his side.

"Good," Rose hissed in his ear as they returned to the main room, Raymond still swaying drunkenly. "Now flirt with me as you make your way to the door."

"That was wonderful, love," Raymond purred, sliding his hand down the side of Rose's leg.

"Mmm." Rose squirmed suggestively against him. "Will you come back?"

"Nothing could stop me," Raymond replied with a wink.

"Goood." Rose drew the vowels out in an erotic murmur. "I can't wait." Grabbing the back of his neck, Rose pulled his face towards hers and kissed him. Raymond forced himself not to pull away. Wrapping his arms around Rose, he returned the kiss, dragging it out for two seconds, then three...

"Raymond?"

Raymond whirled around, shoving Rose away from him as he did so. Evelyn was sitting at a nearby table, staring at him, openmouthed and deathly pale. Sitting at the table with her were several of the prostitutes. All were watching him with expressions of sympathy and amusement.

"Evelyn!" Raymond stammered. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Evelyn said coldly. 'But I already know what you were doing."

Rose tittered. "That's your girl?" she whispered in Raymond's ear. "I thought she was too innocent to even think about a place like this."

"Shut up!" Raymond hissed. "Evelyn, it's not what you think," he said pleadingly as Evelyn turned her back to him. "Just let me explain."

"Alright." Evelyn turned back to face him. "Explain."

"In private," Raymond added.

"Very well." Evelyn turned back to the prostitutes. "Please excuse me," she said apologetically. "I'll be back in just a minute." Then, shooting Raymond an ice-cold glare, she stalked outside. Raymond followed her.

"Is this private enough for you?" she asked sarcastically as Raymond closed the brothel door behind him.

"Yes." Raymond took a deep breath. "Evelyn, what I was just doing—it isn't what you think."

"Really?" Evelyn's eyes flashed fire. "Then, pray, tell me what it is."

Taking hold of her arms, Raymond pushed Evelyn against the wall of the brothel and pressed his lips against her ear.

"Get off me!" Evelyn growled, trying to push Raymond away. "Get your filthy hands off me!"

"Just listen to me for five goddamn seconds!" Raymond hissed. "This is the only way I can explain myself to you."

"By assaulting me?"

"I don't want someone to overhear us."

Reluctantly, Evelyn stopped struggling. "I'm listening," she said coolly.