Chapter 48

Mr. Collins was sitting in the library reading a book. "You're back," he said coldly as Evelyn entered the room.

"Hello, Dad," Evelyn said quietly. When she had returned to the house, Billie had made sure she looked properly put together—fixing her hair and straightening her clothes—before she went looking for her father. But, under his accusatory gaze, she felt as though he could see the evidence of what she and Raymond had done written all over her face and body.

"Where have you been?" Mr. Collins demanded, slamming his book shut.

"I..." Evelyn wetted her lips. "I was upset with you, so I stayed the night with Helen."

"Really?" Mr. Collins stood and began to stalk around the room. "Are you sure you didn't spend it with someone else?"

"Yes." Evelyn forced herself to look directly at her father as she spoke, making her face steady and her voice unwavering. She hated lying to him; too much already lay between them without her adding more distance and deceit to the barrier. She was actually helping him, she tried to convince herself. Knowing the truth would only hurt him more. "When I left the house yesterday, I went straight to Helen's and didn't leave until this morning." More lies.

"Really?" Mr. Collins arched an eyebrow. "What about the newspaper? You didn't feel it necessary to discuss it with your... boyfriend? He didn't want to talk about it?"

"I thought you didn't want me to see him again."

"I didn't." But you've never listened to me about anything else; why start now?"

"That's not fair!" Evelyn snapped. "I do listen to you about most things—"

"Just not this one."

"Dad..."

"Eve, I only want what's best for you." Crossing the room, Mr. Collins placed his hands on Evelyn's shoulders. "Is that so hard to believe?"

"Of course, it's not." Reaching up, Evelyn placed her hand over his. "But, have you ever stopped to consider that, maybe, you don't know what's best for me anymore?"

"Nonsense." Mr. Collins smiled benevolently. "You're young and foolish—as I was when I was your age."

"You started building your empire when you were sixteen. Was that foolish?"

"I was foolish in matters of love," Mr. Collins said smoothly. "I was blind and stupid and utterly defenseless against your mother's . Now, I see that same thing in you. This young man is handsome and charming. He's swept you off your feet and made you think that he's all you could ever hope for. But you're blind and foolish. He's using you, for your body and for your money. No good man would ever act like he has."

"And how has he acted?" Evelyn asked. "How has he treated me? You don't know—do you?"

"I know enough."

Evelyn jerked away. "No, you don't. You don't know enough about him, and—somehow—you don't know enough about me. What I want, what I need...What do you know anymore?"

"And this man?" Mr. Collins demanded. "He's the one you want? He's the one you need?"

Evelyn didn't hesitate. "Yes, he is."

"Don't you see what he's doing to you!" Mr. Collins shouted. "Seducing you, making you think you can't live without him, fucking you—"