Chapter 23

"So that's the story," Evelyn finished. She and Raymond were sitting in Delmonico's. After she had left Mr. Collins' office looking shell-shocked and teary-eyed and had suggested going to Delmonico's, she had told Raymond everything. Raymond had sat in stunned silence as Evelyn told him about the family she had never known and the heritage that had been hidden from her.

"How do you feel about this?" Raymond asked when Evelyn had finished.

"I don't know," Evelyn replied, stirring her coffee pensively. "On one hand, I understand why Dad did what he did. If I were in his shoes, I might have done the same thing. On the other hand, I've wanted a family my whole life—one with aunts and uncles and lots of brothers and sisters and cousins. So, knowing that to some small extent, I have that family, and knowing they were kept from me...I don't know what to think or how to feel...I don't know anything. Should I try to find them? Should I not? Would they even want to see me?"

"Much as I know you want to connect with them, I think it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie," Raymond said quietly. "Your relatives probably harbor pretty harsh feelings towards your father, which they might take out on you—if they agreed to meet with you at all."

Evelyn nodded. "You're right," she murmured. "I don't want to cause pain—to either of us."

"Do you feel up to working today or do you want to go home?"

"I'm not an invalid, Raymond," Evelyn said, somewhat sharply. "I am more than capable of working today."

"Yes, dear," Raymond agreed demurely, and Evelyn blushed.

For a long moment they sat in silence, sipping their coffee. Then Evelyn spoke. "It's something I had never thought about before," she said, "using wealth as a weapon."

Raymond's brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Before now, money was just something we had, something I was born into. I never saw it as a way to fight back."

"Against what?"

"Against discrimination and poverty and everything that Dad went through as a child. I wonder, how many people in the world are held back by poverty and discrimination. How many of them have the potential to change the world, if only they were given a chance?"

"No one gives you a chance, Evelyn," Raymond said quietly. "If you want to get somewhere in life, you have to create opportunities for yourself. Isn't that what your father did?"

"I suppose so..." Evelyn bit her lip. "But that seems awfully harsh."

"Life is harsh," Raymond replied. "You don't win by wanting it to be easier."

"I know." Reaching across the table, Evelyn clasped Raymond's hand and squeezed it. "And I understand how hard you've worked to get where you are and how hard you work everyday to maintain that. But I also know that you have had opportunities that have made your journey at least a little bit easier. Others less fortunate than you—and me—may never even get one opportunity."

Raymond's throat tightened. "You're an amazing woman, Evelyn," he said huskily. "I hope you know that."

Evelyn flushed, her grip on his hand tightening. "Thank you," she murmured shyly. "It's nice of you to say that."

"I mean it." Raymond smiled at Evelyn. "I've never met anyone as compassionate and understanding as you, aside from my mother."

"She's very compassionate and understanding?" Evelyn asked.