"And Luke is his mate. Mates come before packs."

Kegan sobbed once again, wiping the tears from his face. "But... if they were really enemies wouldn't they have just taken me?" he asked in a broken voice. "It can't be true, Calix!"

Calix sighed, kissing Kegan's forehead. "We won't know until we talk to them."

"But... we can smell them! Scent blockers last for a full day!"

"Kegan... we need to talk to them. Got it?"

Wiping his tears away, Kegan nodded while hiccuping. "P-Please don't execute or hurt either of them. I w-want to talk to them," he pleaded, begging with his big, teary eyes.

Calix sighed. "I want to know what they injected into you," he said, sliding off of the bed and grabbing Kegan's hand. "If It's dangerous or they're working with Leon, I will not be able to keep my promise."

"Please!"

"No," Calix snarled. "And that witch could be working with them."

Kegan shook his head. "No. If Hallie is involved, then they're working for someone else. She saved me!"

"Tan and Luke helped to save you to! Evil doesn't work all at once! They work to gain trust and then decide to attack!"

"But-"

"I'm going to get Kai and Tali so we can make sure they won't run. I want you to stay here until they're detained."

Kegan tried to protest, but Calix stopped him by covering his mouth and laying his other hand on Kegan's stomach. Understanding the tender gesture, Kegan fell silent, putting his own hand over Calix's.

"I don't want you in danger," Calix whispered, kissing Kegan's lower stomach where a small bump had begun to form. "Please wait here until it's safe."

Kegan sighed, nodding reluctantly. "Okay. Please make it quick," he mumbled as Calix gave him a playful salute and left the room.

•••

Kegan had only been laying down for ten minutes in Calix's absence when his door slammed open. He wasn't expecting an aggressive entrance from Calix, so he jumped and shrieked. When he looked back at the door, his heart dropped.

"Tan?" Kegan asked as the Alpha approached him with a knife in his hand and tears in his eyes.

Tan let out a shuddered breath, running over to Kegan and restraining him, holding the knife to his neck. "I'm sorry," he whispered in Kegan's ear. "I don't want to do this, but Calix won't listen."

"Let go," Kegan pleaded. "I'm your friend, Tan! I don't know who you're working for, but you don't have to do this."

Tan shook as he cried, hating that he was scaring his Luna and friend. "You are my friend and I promise I'm not going to hurt you. We just need to shock Calix into listening to us," he tried to explain, but Kegan couldn't stop himself from crying and trembling.

"Calix, help," Kegan mind linked him, every instinct telling him to find his Alpha and embrace his comfort. "Tan has a knife to my throat! Please, hurry!"

He could almost feel Calix's heart drop at the words.

"I'm on my way. I found Luke and the witch and they're restrained. Hold on, I'll keep you safe," Calix said, sounding like he was fighting to stay strong.

The door slammed open and Calix appeared inside, growling at Tan. His eyes were gold, showing that Zakai was pissed off and ready to attack.

"Let him go," Calix growled, nearing closed to the pair. "Now, Tan!"

Kegan had never seen Calix so close to losing control. He was tense and his fangs were elongated and he seemed to grow slightly bigger as Zakai demanded control.

"Tan, don't let him lose control," Kegan pleaded.

He didn't want to see Calix kill his friend, whether or not that same friend was holding a knife to his throat.

Tan sighed and released Kegan, unable to stomach holding his friend and Luna at knife point. He stepped back as Kegan sprinted toward Calix, embracing the Alpha with teary eyes.

Before they could relax, Calix leapt out of the way with Kegan in his arms as Luke and Hallie came barreling into the room. They sprinted toward Tan, Luke snarling as Kai tried to follow them into the room.

"I'm sorry, Calix," Kai said as Tali pushed her way into the room, liquid dripping from her face. "The witch threw some liquid on Tali."

"It's just vodka," Hallie murmured, falling silent when Kai and Calix snarled at her.

Calix stepped toward the group of traitors, leaving Kegan behind him with Kai and Tali. "I know you three are the ones who attacked mate and injected him with something and you're responsible for the attack on myself. Why? You said you were loyal to us and you've betrayed us!" he roared, his scent of dominance leeching from him and resonating through the room.

"We didn't!" Tan cried, humiliated and ashamed that his Alpha thought he was a traitor. "I promise, we'd never do anything to hurt you or Kegan!"

"Then what was the injection? And why did you attack me?!" Calix pulled the red contact lens out of his pocket. "I know those weren't rogues!"

Luke laughed, shocking everyone in the room. "That was actually an accident. I attacked you, Alpha. I didn't expect you to shift back, so I accidentally cut you up a bit," he said, looking at the contact lens. "I was wondering where that went."

Kegan walked up to Calix, pushing his way past the Alpha and looking straight into Luke's eyes. "I want the full story of what you have done. Please," he begged.

Luke sighed. "It's not easy to explain."

Calix snarled. "Lock them up," he said to Kai. "Get the other warriors and lock them up. Now."

Kai nodded, mind linking the other warriors and getting to work. She sent Kegan to her room with Astra, knowing that Calix wanted him as far away from the traitors as possible.