Chapter 19- I'm Here Now

When I finally drag Nicole out of the lobby, she stares at me like I just killed her true love, and right now, I honestly don't know who that is. That was a low move, even for her.

"Why do we have to leave? Don't take me away from him!" she exclaims in the parking lot.

"Who, Nicole?! Chan or Daryl?! I need some help, and all you're doing is just acting like nothing is happening while I'm over here crying and sobbing over Carl almost dying! What kind of friend does that?!"

"Well, listen to yourself! You are sitting here accusing me for trying to be happy when I haven't been happy in years! I lost my sister to murder, ad you're sitting here acting like you're the most pitiful person in the world! Well guess what sister, life might hurt, but it heals eventually. That's why I'm trying not to remind you of all of these things, to make you tougher. Life isn't gonna go the way you want it to."

"You're not kidding, and thank you. I'm sorry for being such a jerk. I just really miss having my family around, and if Carl goes...-"

"Hey," she takes my chin into her hand, "don't think like that. He will make it out of this. He's Carl; he can survive anything."

"Yeah... hopefully. I'm tired. Where are we gonna sleep for the night?"

"I'm pretty sure everyone said that we were crashing at Chan's place. He's got a pretty big space."

"Alright. Let's go. I am so tired."

She nods, and we walk back into the hospital.

"Chan, let's go. We're tired. C'mon, take us back to your place."

"No way. I just got here. Here's the keys," he hands us the keys, "And promise me something. Don't break anything."

"No promises," replies Nicole.

"Oh yeah, you're the rebel, right? Nicole I believe was your name?"

"Yes," she puts a piece of hair behind her and smiles flirty, "that's my name."

Daryl looks at me like 'what the heck?' I just shrug.

I cut in, "Chan, I wouldn't trust her with the keys. Let me have them."

I hold out my hand, and he gives me the keys.

Nicole walks out the automatic doors, and I start to run after her, but Chan grab my wrist.

"Now, since you won't tell me in front of Carl, what's wrong with him?"

I open my mouth to talk, but no words come out. I can't say anything; it's like my mouth is glued shut.

"Tell me now, or give me back my keys," he holds out his hand.

"H-his ribs are beaten up p-pretty bad. The nurse said that his ribs will become smaller and smaller over time, and eventually they will smother the lungs and heart-"

"And they can't give you any medicine for that? To make his chest become a little bigger?"

"That's exactly what I asked. She said that they don't have any right now, and the earliest shipment they can deliver is in three days, and that's how long it takes for his ribs to smother everything."

"Well, couldn't we just ride to the place and get it and ring it back here?"

"Actually, that's a really good idea. I didn't think of that. C'mon."

Chan and I walk up to the desk, and the nurse that I hate has to be at the desk. She's typing something on a computer.

"Excuse me, miss, I-"