Fault.

Reese's Condo
February 23,2020 (11am)

I slowly opened my eyes, waking up in an empty bed. I turned onto my side towards the large window, sunlight shining through the white linen curtains.

I smelled something sweet and aromatic: Cinnamon. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and grabbed Reese's shirt off of the headboard, sticking my arms in and letting it drop quickly on my body.

I walked down the hallway, the smell getting stronger as I got closer to the front of the apartment.

"Grand rising, beautiful." he looked up at me quickly as he stirred a bowl vigorously over the island in the kitchen and then turned to pour it into a pan on the stove. I walked closer and sat at the island, watching him admirably.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked
"Ha. Like a baby." He side eyed me and smiled, I giggled and turned towards the living area to look at the TV, he was watching Rick and Morty.
——————

"How do you make them so fluffy?" I asked after biting into a soft Cinnamon pancake doused in Blueberry syrup.

"I'll definitely teach you one day, you were sleeping so peacefully I didn't want to wake you." Reese responded after taking a sip of orange juice.

"Best sleep I got in the last 3 days." I sighed, and leaned back into my chair.

"You know-" he placed his glass down again as he began to speak, but stopped.

"You can talk to me about anything. I'm only bringing this to your attention because I'm still a little shook up from watching ole' girl die... Like I never watched somebody die. In front of me. It was crazy. And they were in there trying to get me to say you pushed her... my point is, you don't have to push this to the back of your mind and act like it ain't happen.. you know?" he resumed drinking his orange juice until it ran out, then he got up and went to the fridge.

"I'm good. I mean.. yeah I'm a little shaken up, but I'm good. I was more worried about you, I was so scared for you and B." I looked down at my plate.

"Yeah I was scared too. They had this white man interrogating me and B. You can tell he was looking to pin that shit on somebody , man. I ain't think I was making it out of there. Never prayed so hard in my life. I see the way they do other black folk, killing us just because we're .. us. That's it. Just because we're black." he filled the glass and then slammed the carton of orange juice down.

"... I'm sorry I put y'all in that.." I said softly. I understood what he meant, I understood how terrified he was. And I felt partially responsible.

"Listen, that was not your fault. She tripped. She let her emotions get the best of her, and it resulted in something none of us thought would happen. Please don't blame yourself." he placed his hand on mine , then I looked up and my eyes stung as tears slid down my cheeks. He pulled me into a hug and I cried into his chest, tears soaking his skin. The more I cried the tighter he held me.

"We here now. That's all that matters." he whispered softly.
——————

February 26,2020 (11am)
Reese's Condo

"Hey, I'll be back. You need anything? I'm going past that burger place you like." Reese says while standing in the doorway, putting on his denim jacket looking at me awaiting an answer.
"Uhh, yeah." I sat up quickly and rubbed my eyes, I just woke up from a nap. Them post-cry naps have you waking up feeling like you slept for a million years. "A turkey burger and chili fries, that's it. Oh and a chocolate shake? Oh and I want some fried pickle chips." I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and slipped my feet into my pink Nike slides.

"Okay. And is it too early for a pregnancy test?" he grabbed his keys off the dresser and looked up at me. I laughed and so did he, then he walked out the room, the front door closing not too long after.

*phone rings*

I looked down at my phone and it read "Avery ❤️". I haven't spoken to him since my night in bookings. I quickly grabbed it and pressed answer.

"Hey.." I answered quietly. Because it wasn't until
now, at this moment, that I realized that despite the differences they had, Avery had lost the girl he loved.

"I need to see you tonight." he spoke nervously and I can hear his voice trembling.

"Avery. Talk to me."

"I'll be at your house at 9 tonight."

"Okay but can you just talk to-"

"I've gotta go."

*beep beep beep*

I pulled the phone away from my ear, unable to process anything that just happened. I fell back into the bed and stared up at the ceiling. Inhaling deeply, I closed my eyes and tried to just go somewhere else.

"Brianna, no!"

I quickly opened my eyes as the night Brianna died flashed into my mind. I shook my head and ran my fingers through my hair.

"I'm back!" I heard Reese say as his footsteps got closer and closer to the bedroom. I sighed and smiled as he walked into the room, holding several bags.

"I know you didn't ask for them but I know how upset you would be if you missed out on these limited edition..." he dug into one of the bags, and pulled out a rectangular box. "Strawberry cheesecake filled donuts"

I grabbed the box excitedly and he kissed my forehead. He took his clothes off, then sat next to
me on the bed and dug into the rest of the bags, laying everything out. I took the remote off the nightstand and turned on netflix, I needed something to take my mind off of everything, even if it was just for a couple hours.