Weak.

So yeah , as you can see things went back to normal. Avery and I were kicking it again as friends or whatever. Shit was cool.

February 12th, 2020

It's almost Valentine's Day and I'm throwing my annual pre-Vday bash. I invite all my coworkers and homegirls and they bring they lil boo or whatever. My lil boo was Bentley, and to be honest it's hurting that this year I'm doing this without him. But I know he wouldn't want me moping and calling it off, so the party's still on I guess.

I'm at home trying on the outfit I bought for tonight's party. My homegirls Taneya and Pearl came over so we can get ready together. We go way back , we grew up together in the hood and went to the same school every year. We were all attached at the hip.Taneya is a magazine editor, she was the loud, ghetto friend of the group. But she knew how to pull it together when necessary. Pearl is a psychologist at Greene MHF and she was the quiet, shy girl of the group. Taneya and I always had to catch her up on the "hip" stuff cause she wasn't really in tune.

"Girl that outfit is fire!" Who you trying to look good for?" Taneya says as she looks me up and down, grabbing my hand to turn me around.

"Avery!" Pearl says giggling as she popped a strawberry into her mouth. Tee joined in and I may have giggled a bit too but I had to let them wassup.

"She got her lil buns touched on and don't know how to act."
"Mhmm!"
"Guys it ain't even like that. We just friends now. He back with Brianna and I'm going about things accordingly." I said staring into a full body mirror and adjusting the straps on my dress.

"Ugh! Her again?" Pearl made a gagging sound and rolled her eyes.
"She so corny. You need to swoop in and save him from that witch. Matter of fact, they both corny! After what he did to you , he shouldn't even be coming tonight." Tee says.
"Yeah, I don't know how y'all "cool", cause that was fucked up." Pearl chimed in.
"Y'all" I turned around and walked to the island that the girls were sitting at and leaned onto the counter, staring sternly at both so they knew I was dead serious.
"Ave and I , we cool. I moved past that , I'd appreciate if y'all don't act a fool tonight . Be nice or leave that man and his girlfriend alone."

"Fine." They both said, Pearl rolling her eyes and Tee sighing then walking off.

I'm not gonna lie , they almost had me for a minute, I was close to switching my heels for Timberland boots so I can stomp Avery and his lil hoe's face in.

But I truly do not feel that way. That's why I had to shut it down with the girls cause I don't want no drama.

----

"Kellandra, this party is bomb! Even better than last year! And that dress? Honey you look fab!"" my perky ass coworker Andrea . Never really had an issue with her but it's something off about her, couldn't quite put my finger on it though.

"Thank you, Andrea." I gave her the fakest smile and she walked off into the party.

"I agree, the dress is beautiful. I wonder who made it?" a voice that could only be one person said from behind: Avery.

"A certain Black designer. Very high fashion as you can see." Yes, he made my dress. And yes, I wore it pridefully, to support my dearest friend of course . I turn and see him and Brianna.

"Hey girl, lovely party as always." Brianna says as she hugged me, which she's never done before ...
"Thank you!" I said giving her a senile I thought was pretty convincing. I'm not nervous or anything. Just a little weird because I wasn't sure if she knew about Avery and I and was just playing it cool or she was being genuine.
"I'm gonna go refill my drink." she says as she tip toes up to Avery's mouth and kisses him quickly then struts off into the mass of guests.

"You deadass here by yourself?" Avery says after he sips his champagne.

"Uh.. yeah. You don't see nobody with me right?" I look around for emphasis and then back at him . I laugh and so does he.
"Oh wow, you remember this song?" He asks as he looks at me intently.
"Weak" by SWV . I didn't even realize it was playing, this is one of my favorites. And he knew that, which is why he was staring at me like we're back in college.
"Boy you better stop. Your chick ain't gone like that." I laugh a little to take some of the edge off of what I just said. But I was dead serious. Cut the shit, Avery.
"Yeah , you right." He says as he licks his sexy ass lips and steps back with his hands up like he was surrending. I bit my lip coyly and looked down at the floor.

The DJ announces, "Alright folks we gone switch it up, ladies take y'all heels off -"

"Sorry I took so long I saw an old friend from college." Brianna says as she popped back up. I quickly switched it up and smiled at her so she wouldn't assume anything.

"I'm gonna head to the restroom. Enjoy the party guys." I said as I started to excuse myself .

"I'll join you!" Brianna said as she grabbed her purse , Avery looked at me like he just shit himself as soon as her head was turned. I ignored it then walked off.

----

"So y'all been friends for a hot minute right?" Brianna says as I quickly walk into a stall and close it behind me.

"Yeah.. been through a lot. That's my guy right there." I responded as I pulled out my phone and a text from Avery popped up on my screen.

"Y'all good in there ?" it read. I left it on read as she continued to speak.

"Yeah he's really a good man. He talks about you a lot too . Says you're his best friend and you're the loyalest person he's ever come across. " I hear the clattering of what I can only assume are the contents of her bag, like makeup or something.

"Err.. yeah we pretty close but just frien-"
I assumed she'd let me respond but I was immediately cut off.

"Have y'all ever dated?" she asked and I can see her staring at herself in the mirror through the crack of the stall I'm in. She looked at the reflection of the stall door and I pulled away cause I ain't want her to see me staring back.

"Yeah. In college. Looong time ago."
"Why did it end?"
I couldn't tell her he cheated on me, because that would make him look like a cheater, which he was but I'm not gonna be the one to put him on the spot.

"We just decided it was best we stay friends." I said and waited anxiously for a response.

"Hmm. Well , shit happens. At least y'all still cool. Glad things are so good between y'all." I hear her say as she starts to walk away, and eventfully, out the door. It sounded as if she was on the verge of tears.

Was it something I said?

---

I stand at the doorway of the venue , thanking my guests for coming out . I can't help but be distracted by what happened in the bathroom.

"Well, as always the party was lit, me and Bri gonna head home. You be safe , alright?" Avery says as he hugs me and I hug back, getting a glimpse of Brianna's uncomfortable stare. I break out the hug , and then smile at her as she and Ave walk out the door. She gives me a half ass smile in return. Okay, it was more like a scowl but I ain't tripping..