The Lock. (continued)

Our last day in Italy. (August 24th 2017)

The sun shone through our hotel room window, the rays dancing across the wood floors . I rolled over to look at Bentley. His back was turned to me , so I figured he was sleeping. I got up to start my  morning routine, careful not to do anything to startle him out of his sleep.

I began packing, my bag and his as well. I got notification on my phone , it was a reminder that Bent has a doctor's appointment at 5pm EST .

This appointment was to get x-rays of his brain to check if the cancer reappeared. Bentley has been doing so well so I was confident in this visit.

"I hope you enjoyed your flight! Thank you for flying with Delta Airlines!" a perky flight attendant said to us as we got off of the plane.

After we claimed our luggage, we were driven to the hospital for Bentley's appointment.

"Are you okay?" I asked Bentley, he's been quiet the whole time we were waiting.

"Yes, just very tired from the flight, ya know?" He gave a slight smile and then looked away.

"Hey. Everything's going to be fine ." I held his chin and turned him back towards me so that we were eye to eye. He smiled reassuringly and kissed my hand .

"Mr.Hughes? We're ready for you ."

I kissed him and the nurse wheeled him away, I stole one last glance at him before he disappeared into the x-ray room.

"That was nerve wrecking." He said as I pushed him back to the waiting room.

"Relax, just stay calm." I said to try and reassure him. But truth is, I was nervous too. Very.

"Mr.Hughes? Dr.Crawford will see you now."

Him and I looked at each other . My heart sunk into my ass , and I can tell his did too . He looked like he had just seen a ghost.

"Nice to see you, Mr.Hughes and Ms. Grey. We're here today to discuss your x-ray and MRI results. But before we get to that, how have you been feeling? Any headaches? Changes in vision? Trouble sleeping? " He looks at Bent inquisitively , awaiting a response . I did too .

"Actually..." He looks at me, hesitant to finish. But why? He's been doing good? Unless he's been keeping things from me. But why would he do that? We're a team.. or supposed to be.

"Yes, I get really bad headaches. I can't sleep sometimes. My vision has been blurry lately. I can see but I know the difference. Give it to me straight doc.. Whats happening to me?"

I was floored . He WAS keeping things from me. I couldn't even say anything. I was dumbfounded .

"Mr. Hughes . I'm so sorry to tell you this but the cancer is back. And being that this time it's affecting your vision , we need to get you into surgery immediately."

Nurses rushed in with gurneys as if they were on queue , and Bentley was lifted onto it.

"Bentley I love you, I -"

"I'll see you after, Kellandra . I promise." He smiled softly and then was dragged away down a hallway past the double doors to the surgery room.