Chapter 29: After You Left

** Aizawa's flashback, 16 years ago **

I watched as the half red & half white haired boy carried y/n to the time machine, and with a small glance over his shoulder, he gave me a small nod. I only did the same in return before the light finally engulfed him and the pair was no longer in sight. Simultaneously, the light from the portal swirled and diminished into nothing, shutting the whole machine down.

It was then I realised I had been holding my breath since the very beginning we entered the basement. Now that y/n was gone, I could finally exhale a sigh of relief for her safety.

'"You really do love her, huh?" Maya, the inventor of the time machine, spoke.

" I do," I replied nonchalantly while looking into the distance.

"It's okay, you will definitely see her again in the future. Until then, treasure the moments you have with your current friends," he said before walking away.

The word 'friends' snapped me back to reality. I had completely forgotten about my friends who were still stalling the villain so we could make our escape. Swiftly, i turned my heels and raced back up to the school entrance where I dashed straight out to the previous location, from memory. With every step, I prayed for the safety of my own friends. I couldn't afford to lose anyone else anymore.

As I got closer, I was able to see the silhouette of a few people crowding around, followed by soft murmurs that grew louder. My legs abruptly stopped when my mind began pondering over the worst case scenario; the death of a classmate. I braced myself and bolted right into the crowd, pushing every body that was in the way until I finally came face to face with my biggest nightmare.

There were two bodies lying on the ground. One was the fireball quirked villain who was unconscious while the other was ... my own best friend, Oboro.

"How did it come to this..." I muttered, trying to comprehend the horrible sight before me.

Hizashi who was tightly holding onto Oboro's charred body, looked at me hastily with eyes full of terror and despair.

"Shouta... Oboro is.."

My eyes dilated at the burnt figure. His whole body was fully scorched, distorting his usual cheery face and burning every strand of his blue hair. Thin, frail flaps of his skin tore to reveal the red flesh while it exuded a foul smell with a mix of charcoal.

The world began to twist and turn like I was on a violent rollercoaster. Vomit reached the peak of my throat ready to erupt when I placed my hand over my mouth immediately to hold it in.

"He is not breathing, Shouta!" Hizashi yelled in panic.

Nemuri who was kneeling beside Oboro, wailed her heart out as she clutched onto his hand. From the side of my eyes, there were flashes of red and blue flickering accompanied by sirens. However, the nearer it got, the more muffled the sounds became. I heard a high pitch ring in my ears as the paramedics arrived and put my friend onto the stretcher before rushing off.

'How did it come to this..?'
— —
Before I knew it, I found myself in front of his grave, his tombstone carved out the name 'Oboro Shirakumo'. 

Who would've thought I'd be seeing his full name on a stone instead of a graduation certificate.

He used to wonder how I would look like wearing a formal suit, since I was never the type to wear it. But today, I managed to don it for Oboro, who is no longer here to physically see it.

Surrounded by people in black, my eyes gazed solemnly at the white lilies that decorated his grave.

'Oboro used to like those flowers,'