Chapter 31: Silencing The Storm

[ trigger warning: suicide & self-harm. maybe triggering if you're a suicide attempt survivor, have depression, are suicidal, or have lost someone to suicide.  feel free to skip the part if it makes you better ❤️]

** Weeks later **

I stood in front of the door to Y/n's apartment. Today marked my 7th attempt to speak with her mother who remained confined in her house ever since Y/n's funeral.

"Ms Azami..." I called out her name while knocking on the wooden door. The drops of rain continued to ricochet off the railings, dampening the corridor as the lightning flashed across the ominous sky.

"Ms Azami, please let me speak with you. I, more than anyone else, understand how you feel so please, open this door," I weakly begged. Still, there was no reply.

The shuffling of her feet could be heard from the inside, followed by the sound of a chair being dragged. I furrowed my brows slightly, thinking about what she could be doing at this time, shifting furniture around.

"I know you're in there. Please don't ignore me,"

As expected, there was silence. I waited for a little over 20 minutes before taking my leave. When I took the first step, I heard the chair fall over to the ground suddenly with a loud thud. My head whipped around to face the door once more.

"Ms Azami?" My voice called out for her as I slowly placed my ear against the door, trying to make out what was happening.

Heavy ragged breathing could be heard as if someone was on the brink of death by asphyxiation accompanied by a creaking sound of a strained rope. They resonated the room and through the door I was listening to. I frowned, feeling doubtful about the situation, I was sure that my ears were not playing tricks on me.

I took a few steps back before charging ahead and striking the wooden door with my foot. Unfortunately, that only caused a small dent. I backed away once more and braced myself for the collision that was about to happen. With all the strength I could muster, I slammed the right side of my body against the door. The first try was a fail but it didn't stop there, instead I continued to ram against it repeatedly despite being bruised.

"MS AZAMI!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs before finally smashing the door open with every ounce of my energy.

The door burst open and collapsed to the ground along with me on it. I groaned in pain as my body slowly rose from the broken door beneath me. While rubbing my temple, my eyes gradually traveled up to see a long silhouette of a figure suspending from the ceiling. It oscillated heavily from side to side like a meat dangling down from a hook in a slaughterhouse.

My blurred vision adjusted to the dark surrounding of her living room. The realisation dawned on me like a bolt from the blue when my brain finally comprehended the situation.

There, in the center of her empty living room with only a toppled wooden chair, revealed the lifeless body of y/n's mother, hanging down from a rope.

"A-AZAMI!" I shouted as fear began to consume me. Upon unsheathing my dagger, I sliced off the rope around her neck and brought her down slowly to the ground where I tightly clenched her shoulders.

The petechiae formed around her rolled eyes were bright red in contrast to her purple face. Her tongue thrust out with thick foam all over her mouth. It was an unforgettable sight that would forever etched in my mind. 

I stared hopelessly at the motionless figure in my arms. Somehow, I was too numb to even scream or cry. Just when I thought changing the future would mean saving both of them, it backfired and now I lost Y/n as well as her mother.