Chapter 25: Ice vs Water

Inside the waiting room, you sat nervously anticipating the next match that was approaching. After barely surviving the first round, you had to face the second biggest obstacle and this time the outcome was unforeseeable. Because the opponent was none other than Todoroki Shouto.

'He is the last person I want to mess with,'

Speak of the devil, the door burst open to reveal the half and half boy. He casually pulled a seat opposite you and plumped down as if there wasn't a whole competition taking place. The tension began to arise as the two of you stared soundlessly. His scar, though had always been there, still intrigued you all the while making you ponder over the possible causes behind it. Todoroki caught your eyes lingering on his left side and sighed.

"It was caused by my mother, if you were wondering," he answered your thoughts.

Your eyes dilated in surprised upon his unexpected reply.

"She poured boiling water on my left side when I was a kid, because it reminded her of that old man," He balled his fist tightly, digging his nails into his palm.

"B-boiling water?! Old man...?"

"My father was nothing but an abuser. He inflicted pain on my mother, and it made her mental health deteriorate. Everything about that man made her flesh crawl. And so, my left side that resembled him ended up bearing this scar,"

You let out a high pitch gasp while covering your mouth. To think that he had to face such dark childhood made your heart sank.

"I don't blame my mother though. But that old man.. because of him, I will never use this fire quirk of mine. It's a curse..." his voice quavered in resentment.

As soon as he finished, the speaker screeched to notify that it was finally time for the battle. Todoroki stood up immediately and extended out his hand.

"May the best man win," he cracked a smile.

"Right," you replied while shaking his.

————————————

You trudged to what felt like the battlefield where the opponent stood emotionlessly before you. His usual peaceful demeanour vanished and was replaced by wrath exuding out from his form. Behind him, amongst the crowd, stood the blazing hero who was watching his son intensely from a far.

'Ugh talk about obsession ..'

The horn blew to signal the start of the battle. Before this, you had ponder over the best course of action to beat him and that was to strike first. You closed the distance to engage in hand to hand combat before he could unleash his quirk. As expected, he was swift in ducking the attacks and delivering it but that only had him dance in the palm of your hand.

In truth, you wanted him to work up some sweat before you could use it to your advantage. You made sure to prevent him from using his ice as that could cool his temperature. As soon as there were beads of perspiration forming on his forehead, you backed away, widening the gap again.

"Huh?" He cocked his brow in confusion.

"Sorry Todoroki,"

Your fingers lifted and swayed all the while controlling the drops of sweat on his forehead. It detached itself from his face and swirled right before his widened eyes.

Todoroki tilted his head immediately, avoiding the water that was going to slice him by a hair's breath. The blob of water, or to be specific his sweat, moved briskly around his body in attempt to strike but he was fast enough to duck it. He couldn't catch up with the speed that distracted him, making him slowly back away. This almost made Todoroki out of bounds until he managed to stomp his foot to make a line of ice that disrupted your actions. You jumped over to the side and landed heavily on the ground, barely surviving it.