Side Piece #2 - Home for Christmas.

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 - 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐭

Two weeks felt like far too long for Georgia to be away from her family, from her home - especially so close to Christmas and because she had Sherlock, Julia, Matilda and her youngest eight month old son, Alex, waiting for her. The excavation in the Middle East was only supposed to take one week, but after making some unexpected discoveries, it was extended by a further seven days, taking the trip all the way up to Christmas day. Georgia was distraught that she wasn't going to be able to be there for Alex's first Christmas, but there was nothing she could do about it.

On December 23rd, Georgia was approached by the manager of the excavation for the Middle East, wishing to speak with her urgently.

"Now, I understand that the dates for the excavation have been set to overlap Christmas - one that you were planning to spend with your family?" Georgia sighed, sitting down in one of the chairs closest to her.

"Yeah, unfortunately, but I suppose I can't do anything about it now - it's far too close to Christmas, and we're nearly done anyway." The manager gave her a sympathetic smile, taking the seat next to her.

"What if I were to tell you that I could get you home to be with your family?" Georgia's eyes moved upwards to face him with hope. "You see, we don't really need you here, now that we have all of the items retrieved - I can carry out the rest of the cataloguing, and you can be home just in time to put your children to bed tomorrow night."

"Oh, you have just saved my life! Thank you so much, really - I'm so grateful!" The manager smiled, waving her out of the tent. Georgia left, jogging over to the other tent on site where Donna was leading the pack-up. "Hey, turns out I can go back in time for Christmas after all! The manager said that he'll handle everything from here, and I can travel back tonight."

"What? That's great! Well go and pack, there's a flight out of here in two hours, and you'll be able to make it if you leave within the next 30 minutes." Donna rushed Georgia out of the tent and towards their rooms.

Georgia was quick to pack all her things together, doing one more check around the room to make sure she hadn't left anything and then called a taxi to take her to the airport. Forty minutes later, she was buying a ticket back to England, buzzing with excitement at seeing her family. 

***

Sherlock put the now empty plates into the sink, helping Matilda down from the table. As he watched her run into the living room, he came to stand by the sliding doors, looking over his three children as they all sat around the lit-up tree. Every time he thought of tomorrow, he thought of how Georgia should be there with him, not all the way in the Middle East. But at least he wasn't completely alone - he had Julia, Matilda and Alex to keep him company throughout the day, and then John, Mary and Mrs Hudson would join them for Christmas dinner. 

But they weren't Georgia. 

There was a knock at the door, breaking Sherlock out of his daze. Mrs Hudson wasn't home for the night, so he left the flat, closing the door behind him. He made his way down the stairs and to the front door, unbolting it and opening it. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm not taking cases right-" Before he could finish, he heard a small laugh coming from the person, drawing his focus to their face. 

"Are you sure you can't make an exception?" Georgia asked, a cheeky smile on her face. As soon as she spoke, Sherlock recognised her, and the biggest grin adorned his face. He rushed out the door, wrapped his arms around her and picked her up, spinning her around.

"I thought you weren't going to be back until after Christmas?!" He breathed out as he put her down, looking into her eyes with so much love and adoration that Georgia was sure was going to make her melt. 

"The manager for the Middle East side said that he could sort out the rest of the excavation, and so he sent me home early! I can't believe I'm actually back." She said, shaking her head. Sherlock lowered his lips to hers, relishing the first kiss he'd gotten from her since she left. Their mouths moved in sync, but they pulled apart when a banging noise came from above them. 

They both looked up to see Julia and Matilda grinning and waving from the window, Alex no doubt still entranced by the lights on the Christmas tree, like he had been since it had gone up on December 1st. Sherlock and Georgia shared a laugh, before picking up her bags and making their way inside. As soon as they got into they flat, both adults were bombarded by excited children, even Alex who probably didn't know what was even going on, but seemed to be excited to finally see Mummy again. 

"Your back! Your back!" Julia shouted, bouncing on Georgia's lap as she hugged her. 

"Yeah," she replied, locking eyes with Sherlock over her back. "I'm back."