Chapter Five

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

It's for the case.

[Narrator]

━━━━━━━━

Once the excavation was completed, Georgia could finally head home after a long day. She had not expected to be so busy after just getting back from Egypt, but crime waits for no one. All she wanted to do now, was go home and sleep. Luckily, the day's events had kept her busy, so she was less focused on trying to beat her jet lag than she would have been had she had nothing to do all day.

One thing that had intrigued her that day was the detective, Sherlock Holmes. Georgia found it weirdly fascinating how he conducted his work, and also highly amusing when it came to the little play he had put on for his 'girlfriend'. Although she did not know what he was up to, she found the fact that he clearly didn't have any experience in the relationship department hilarious.

As Georgia had finished packing away the last of the equipment, she wandered back over to the house, where Sherlock was standing there, speaking to one of the officers, no doubt giving orders or chastising him over his idiocy, which Georgia had found out he did often. Not that she could blame him, she did have to admit that most of the police force were extremely naive most of the time.

Georgia had taken a particular disliking to one of the officers, Donovan. You could likely guess why that was, and she definitely hadn't made the best impression, when the first thing to come out of her mouth was calling Sherlock a 'freak', which Georgia thought was extremely uncalled for, and most definitely not true from what she'd witnessed.

Once Sherlock had finished speaking to the officer, he turned around and started off in the direction of Georgia. She wasn't sure if he was actually coming over to talk to her, or if he was just passing by her. But when he slowed down to a stop next to her, she was surprised that he had noticed that she was there, after all, she wasn't anyone important.

"So, what's it like?" She asked him, after both of them stood there in silence for a good two minutes.

"Hm?" He looked over at her, confusion evident on his face, something that Georgia thought was not an often occurrence. "What are you talking about?"

"What's it like living in a world surrounded by idiots?" As she asked the question, she looked up to Sherlock, who was also looking down to her, slightly taken aback at her question, but hid it well, nonetheless.

"Well, wouldn't you know, Miss Brown? After all, you're hardly an idiot yourself." Georgia was not expecting this response, and struggled for something to say. "Oh, please don't tell me you think that you're as bad as those lot in there?" He paused for a minute. "You may not be as clever as me, but you're not stupid." Georgia scoffed at this as Sherlock started to walk back towards the house, and over to Lestrade.

"No, and I suppose that nobody could be as clever as you, could they?"

"No, but you're the closest anyone's come." The corner of Sherlock's lip twitched up slightly, something that he found happening more over the day, but ignored it nonetheless and strode over to Lestrade. "Gavin, I trust that you will send me any more leads that come up?" Greg sighed at the use of the wrong name, but decided to ignore it as usual.

"Yes, Sherlock, I will. It seems that you've been getting on better without the forensics team here. Maybe I should call up the Archaeology department more often, and get Donovan a transfer if it makes you this easy to work with every time." Sherlock scoffed.

"I am not difficult to work with, Scotland Yard are the difficult ones." Lestrade rolled his eyes, already used to Sherlock's opinion on his work force.

"Yeah, yeah, I know." They stood in silence for a moment, looking out onto the fields that were now darkened by the night sky. Just as Lestrade was about to bid Sherlock goodnight, he spoke up.

"Greg?" He asked, shocking him so much that he had to do a double take in Sherlock's direction.

"Y-yes? What is it?" Greg knew that it must have been something important if Sherlock had actually bothered to use his first name correctly.

"Do you think you would be able to give me Miss Brown's contact information?" He questioned while looking in the direction of Georgia's car, where she was sat inside, on the phone with someone.

"You want her number? My god, does Sherlock Holmes have a crush?!" Lestrade started to tease him, but Sherlock cut it short by sending the Inspector a glare. If looks could kill...well, Lestrade would have been dead long ago. "Alright, alright, fine. I'll give you her number."

As Greg was searching through his phone, John shouted from the taxi that he'd managed to pull over, although how he'd managed to do so in such a cut off area, he had no idea. "Hey, Sherlock you coming?"

"I'll be there in a minute, John, tell him to wait!" Sherlock shouted back over, starting to get annoyed at what was taking Greg so long. After another minute, he had finally found the number, and showed Sherlock the screen so he could memorise it. "Thank you, Gavin. That will be all."

As he strode off, Greg shouted back to him. "Be nice to her, call her! It'll do you some good to talk about something other than work sometime." John found himself confused at what Greg had shouted to Sherlock.

"Sherlock? What does he mean by that?"

"Nothing, John. Nothing at all." As the cab pulled away from the side of the road, Sherlock looked out of the window, catching Georgia's gaze through the glass. She raised her hand slightly in a farewell, Sherlock mirroring her.

All the while, both John and Lestrade had seen the interaction, one of them confused, the other one standing with a smirk on his face, knowing exactly what was going to play out. Hopefully.