Chapter 46: My Ghosts Are Gaining On Me

January 17th, 2008
Wednesday, 9:51am - Hibiscus Island, Miami Beach, FL

When Lauren opened her eyes, the first thing she noticed was how bright it was; the morning sun shone through the exposed windows inside one of the bedrooms in Candy's villa, irritating her irises and forcing her to shut them again. Next was the throbbing aches all over her torso, thighs, and arms from bruises the choppy waters gifted to her yesterday evening. She turned over and produced a muffled groan, wincing and hissing as she leant her forehead into her fists. Lauren gave her exhausted body time to register that she had to move while she thought about booze for breakfast upon smelling last night's tequila on her breath. And then she thought about why she felt the need to drink early. And then she remembered why...

She fell back onto her stomach and brought her arms around the pillow she buried her face in, clutching it tightly. Lesson learned: don't ever take for granted those few seconds of oblivion you get when you first awake before your brain asks you if you're forgetting something, then proceeds to remind you of every tormenting thing that ever plagued your entire existence. It was nice to forget for a while. Lauren wished she had the luxury of forgetting for a while.

Suddenly she felt ghostly kisses down her back, each taking its time, delicate and sweet. Lauren turned to look over shoulder to find no one there. But when she turned upon feeling those same feathery strokes from last night trailing up and down her arm, she was met with Aleesia; lying next to her with her other hand behind her head, eyes glued to Lauren's tattooed skin before darting up to meet hers. Aleesia glowed in the morning light but her dimpled smile easily stole the show. She had white sheets covering her naked breasts and privates only, black hair sprawled behind her in luscious waves the sea would be jealous of. Lauren smiled back, her shoulders dropping as she huffed.

"You..." she rasped.

"You," Aleesia repeated back to her, hushed tender voice that warmed Lauren's heart.

"What are you doing here?"

"Watching over you," their fingertips slowly touched then intertwined.

"Can you stay this time?" Lauren murmured, practically begging.

"Always," Aleesia kissed her hand with a charming smile. She lifted herself off the bed, sitting up to brush Lauren's hair away from her face. Their foreheads touched and Lauren automatically closed her eyes, breathing calmly but silently crying. "Shh, no llores, mi amor," she whispered soothingly, wiping her damp cheeks with her thumbs. Aleesia nuzzled her nose against Lauren's then said, "You're going to be okay. It won't hurt like this forever..."

"Lauren?" Candy gently called, the door cracked open with her head poking from behind it. She pried it open some more when she saw that Lauren was awake but sat up with her eyes squeezed shut, leaning into air. Lauren sniffled and turned her head to look at Candy and Candy frowned. "How are you feeling? Is it all right if I come in?"

Lauren inhaled a shaky breath then exhaled deeply. She wiped her whole face with her hands and nodded, folding her legs and pulling the grey sheets over them. "Do you have any alcohol?"

"Not with me. I...I actually got you some fresh baked Pan Dulce with hot chocolate," Candy advanced into the room, carrying a cream wooden tray holding sweet bread decorated with yellow strips and a red mug of Abuelita's hot chocolate. She presented it to Lauren who looked like she appreciated the gesture but didn't care for it at the same time.

"I'm not hungry."

"Come on, Lo. When's the last time you ate something?"

"Aleesia made breakfast for me yesterday. That's the last time," Lauren's voice dropped and skin bunched around her eyes mirroring the colour of the bed sheets as she lowered her head.