Chapter 27: Do Your Fucking Job!

Dakarai Hansen:

September 1st, 2006Friday, 11:33am - South Bay Correctional Facility

September 1st, 2006
Friday, 11:33am - South Bay Correctional Facility

"Did you find him?"

Lauren stared at the boy sitting before her, fidgeting in his seat, falling weak to her icy gaze and lack of warmth in her tone. The visitation room had other visitors and a light atmosphere but Emiliano felt as though it were just him and the boss engulfed in an unforgiving darkness. Disappointing Lauren wasn't optional right now and he was afraid he was about to. There was redness—a vivid splash of colour to her paper-like skin—right beneath her pale green eyes, the corners of her lips were downturned and the top occasionally twitched in a sneer, her once glossy ebony hair faded into a lifeless deep brown, bruises on her knuckles were on display; this was a very clear indication that Lauren hasn't been taking much care of herself lately and had a very short fuse.

Emiliano swallowed dryly and crossed one arm over his chest, holding the other arm for support. His eyes refused to meet Lauren's so they fixated on her white and blue prison top instead, wandering to her ID. "We did find him," his voice cracked and he cleared his throat, putting his fist to his mouth. "Perdón. Normani and I, we found the son of a bitch two days ago. We tried to reach you but obviously you were...in SHU." (Excuse me.)

"Who was it and why did he go after Aleesia?" Lauren urged.

"We don't know why, he didn't tell us—"

"You didn't torture him until he did??" she exploded, lunging forward in her seat.

"We did but the motherfucker didn't give a fuck about his life, he just took all we threw at him until he died!" Emiliano spat out quickly, shoulders raised and tense. "Look, we did our best. All we know is that his name is Edmund Müller, he's an immigrant from Germany, he was in debt and looking for work to repay it to protect the lives of his family, but we have no information on the people he's connected to or who hired him to kidnap and hurt Aleesia. For all we know, it could be anybody. Maybe somebody you made enemies with who wanted to hurt you and used Aleesia just to fuck with you."

"I'm not happy with this. I need more," Lauren growled, fists clenched. "Whoever hired the fucker needs to pay. I will not rest until I get my answers and you do your FUCKING JOB, Emiliano!" she slammed her fist down on the table, drawing attention from the guards and other visitors. Lauren waved them off and tried to compose herself while the boy hung his head in deep sorrow. "How is she? Is she still not going out or talking to anyone?"

"Yep. She started taking her classes from home because she's too afraid to go out, and Jesús is always around her—guarding her like some protective dog. Anything Aleesia needs to do outside her house, he takes care of it. He won't let anybody see her either."

"Carajo. But she's healed, though, right? The markings aren't that bad?" Lauren was hopeful and practically pleading he'd tell her what she wanted to hear. It was tearing her up on the inside; not being able to protect Aleesia from harm devastated her.