~~ 53.5 ~~

Leraj's POV 

"Let's go," she said, bolting out the door before I could form a sentence.

I cursed and strapped the waterskin to my waist, taking off after her. She was already at the end of the street and I had to push hard to catch her. A gladius pierced the sky in the distance when we turned into a packed street. The people of Liones stood in huddled bunches the deeper in we got, whispering amongst themselves. Estra practically barrelled through them.

"Sorry," I said to a lady, helping to steady her before continuing on my way.

I finally caught up to her and that was only because her reckless charge had turned into a loping jog. Sweat beaded her forehead and she was pale.

"Honestly, you need to learn some control," I said with a scowl, handing her the waterskin. She sipped at it – thankfully – before returning it to me.

"No time." She jutted her chin at the gladius we aimed for. "That gladius has to be Diane's. You sensed her magic power, can you sense how far away she is?"

We matched paces for a few silent minutes as I focused. "It's coming from the other side of town, it'll take us time to get there." I worried my bottom lip because Diane wasn't alone. "You won't like this next bit. Six Holy Knights are there too."

And one in particular raged more powerful than the others. What the hell was Dreyfus doing out here? Even if we arrived in time, our chances of survival were pushing it. A Grand Master was not someone to go up against weak and recovering. You needed full strength for someone of their calibre.

"Stop worrying so much, Leraj," Estra said, shooting me a grin. "With your sword skill, Diane's destructive abilities and my explosive powers, we can win."

'I don't think destructive and explosive powers are going to cut it this time,' I thought, watching the way her eyebrows creased when she looked away.

We came to crossroads, Holy Knights mingling with the citizens. Several pairs of eyes homed in on us; then a blinding white light sparked to life over the tops of the houses and we skidded to a halt, shielding our eyes.

"Diane!" Estra screamed, horrified eyes to the sky. To our right, falling from the sky, was a very wounded Giant. We changed direction.

"I am Holy Knight Grand Master Dreyfus," a voice echoed in the sky. We didn't stop, but Estra was glaring at the clouds. "People of Liones, we have been infiltrated by traitors known as the Seven Deadly Sins and they've begun ransacking the Kingdom. The Holy War of ancient legend is finally about to begin! But have no fear, Liones will be guarded by the powers of the Holy Knights. For those that can fight, take up arms and make your stand!"

Estra growled, sparks dancing over her arms. We weren't far now from where Diane had fallen. We shoved past the stricken citizens who swarmed towards us, many screaming. Blasts issued against the buildings on both sides, sizeable chunks of rubble cascading down on us and blotting out the sun. Someone screamed.

The air overhead wavered and Estra threw her arm out to the side. "Firework!"

I ducked instinctively from the shockwave that rained down but the rubble had ceased all along the alley, disintegrated into nothing but fine powder. The stragglers turned in awe to watch us fly past and my mouth had dropped open, staring at her with the same awe. To displace her mana along the entire length of the alley, which was like 50m long and 20m wide, to use Firework – I couldn't even do that! I was limited to a small radius, either around myself or around my target if I was using a metal conduit.

She's surpassed me. The revelation shocked me greatly. My powers had been great back in the days but Firework had limits. Which she broke.

Blasts ricocheted everywhere. Tch! They're going to destroy most of downtown just to keep up a charade! "Estra, we have to be careful. This isn't Diane's doing."

"I know that," she snapped.

"Those six Holy Knights are already by Diane."

"Doesn't matter," she snarled. "I'll put them all in the ground." A strange orange aura fizzled around her hair. I lost my footing in my second round of surprise at the sudden burst of power coming from her and she spun, reaching back and yanking me onto steadying legs.

"I thought I was supposed to be the one struggling?" she said with a smirk, our hands still linked as she dragged me along. The strange aura and power were gone but there was no denying that that power had not been anything I'd given her.

I shook my head and returned my focus on our task. "Don't forget that I had a heart pulled from my chest. That's bound to knock me back a few pegs." This would most likely be the last time we shared a moment like this and I kept hold of her hand a moment longer before releasing. No time now for sentiments – later, when this was all over.

"You going to be ready to fight?" she questioned.

"Of course." I pretended that I was answering in regard to my sword skills. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had no Mana left after the heart stint. I wouldn't have any until it replenished itself tomorrow morning. I just hoped that, until then, she wouldn't need my saving that way.

I grabbed her shoulder before the corner of a building, slowing us. The signatures pulsed just past it. Panting, Estra peeked round then plastered herself back to the wall. I took my own look. Diane was hunched over and not moving; Guila and Howzer were standing in front of her, facing the others – Jericho, Gilthunder, Helbram and Dreyfus. A full house this one.

"I'm going in," Estra whispered, gripping her sword hilt.

I held her back. "No. We can't just rush in. Dreyfus is there with them."

She didn't show the fear that I could feel quivering through her body. "They have her surrounded!" she hissed, shrugging off my hand.

"So you plan on taking us on by yourself, is that it?" Dreyfus said, his voice carrying to us.

"No, we both will," Guila announced.

Estra stiffened, peeking again. "They're protecting her. Guila and Howzer. We have to help them."

"With Howzer and Guila, we definitely stand a chance. But you have to be careful. I don't know the acute effect expelling the demon blood has on you. You might find you can't use your abilities to their full extent yet," I explained, knowing full well everything I just said about her being weakened would not change her mind. "What's your plan?"

"We do what the Sins usually do. Pop up unannounced and shock everything. How do I look?" she questioned.

Beautiful. "You have raccoon eyes and a pale face." She squawked but I placed a finger on her lips, silencing her indignation. "But beneath the looks, you're strong and ready to fight. Let your appearance fool them into thinking you're weak and strike for the throat." I tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

Her eyes glowed with ferocity and her lips parted in a smile to reveal her sharp incisors. "Well then, let's not keep them waiting any longer."