~~ FOURTEEN ~~

"Hey, Meliodas!" I called out in a singsong voice, appearing at the back of the tavern.

The sun was setting on the horizon, the sun like a fat blob eating at the edges of the mountains in the distance. Smoke curled out of the top of the tavern, the smell of cooking meat wafting out over to me.

"Estra, you're back." Hawk's muffled voice came to me and a shadow dropped away from one of the windows. The door swung open with a bang. "We've searched everywhere for – is something the matter?" His voice switched to mild confusion as I prowled towards him.

"Where's Meliodas?" I asked, trying to keep my voice calm, to not hint at my excitement. But I couldn't stop the grin from spreading on my face. "I'm ready for my training."

"I'm here," Meliodas said, appearing behind Hawk. He took a swig from the tankard in his hand. "Where you been?"

"I've been training and I want to fight you again."

My body ached and screamed at me to not do this now, not after the gruelling session Leraj had put me through. But my veins buzzed with anticipation, head light from the thought of success against such a powerful man.

"No. It's dinner time now." And with that, Meliodas promptly turned his back on me and walked back inside.

I swear my jaw hit the ground; he didn't just say that to me. Spluttering, I tried to summon a lengthy insult, but my tongue kept tripping over the words as my anger and frustration grew.

How dare he!

I set my jaw and stomped towards the tavern door. Stepped over Hawk and zeroed in on Meliodas' back. I matched my steps with his, hands balled into fists at my side.

Then, I sprung off my front foot and drove a fist into the centre of his back.

Elizabeth's scream was all I could hear as Meliodas went stumbling forward, tankard flying and beer arcing through the air like a rainbow. He landed with a thud against a chair, knocking it to the side, while his right arm hooked onto the table near his head to keep him from falling on the floor completely.

"Listen up, Mister Dragon Sin. I've been waiting most of the day to test my skills on you." I cracked my knuckles, rolled my neck and shoulders, before standing above Meliodas. "So we are going to go out and fight."

Meliodas looked up at me blankly. He wasn't even fazed that I had knocked him to the floor with a sucker punch to the back. I ground my teeth together, angry, and took a step back.

His leg swung out so fast that I had no hope of dodging it. One of my ankles popped with the force behind the sweep and I went down hard, head smacking against the fallen chair. Panicked, I scrambled on the ground for a second and caught Meliodas' foot against my side.

It sent me flying and I crashed into the bar, Elizabeth's scream piercing my ears again. Hawk snorted and squawked from the doorway as I gingerly got to my feet. Blood came away on my hand after I dragged it across my mouth and I stared at it in anger.

I'm supposed to make him bleed, not me!

Meliodas stood several metres away, scratching his ear. But I could see that he was poised; his fingers on his free hand twitched.

Seeing him standing there, prepared, I hesitated in my attack. Should I make the first move or wait? What would happen if I went for him and he dodged?

Indecision ruled me, my hands opening and closing. That was all the opening Meliodas needed. He moved insanely fast at me, lunging with a fist flying. I ducked down in the nick of time, before driving a fist up into his ribs. It hit him but didn't leave much of an impact as he brought his leg round for a heavy kick to my chest.