Chapter 21

Jaella's POV

My eyelids flutter open and I am met with the light shaking of turbulence.

Shit. Everybody knows.

If I was given the offer to stab myself repeatedly in the brain with a fork I  would gladly do so, as long as I could get off of this airplane. I hear my name coming from the other end of the aircraft and quickly close my eyes and pretend to still be asleep.

"What are we supposed to do with her now? Do we tell the superiors at her unit that they have a ruthless murderer as a colleague?" These harsh words come from the mouth of none other than Spencer Reid. My heart feels as if it cracks in two. My fists clench tightly as I try to keep in my bursting emotions.

"Spence, we don't know if what Lucas said was even the truth," argues JJ.

"We may not know the whole story," adds Derek. "Kid, I know you're hurting but that doesn't mean we can just acuse her."

Hotch now intervenes. "We all saw the look in her eyes. That man was telling the truth."

"I just can't believe it," says Emily quietly, although I can hear every word. "She seems too.. good."

I'm just full of surprises aren't I.

I know that they have a right to feel betrayed, but it still hurts. I don't care if they know that I'm listening, as they would probably say the same things. I am a criminal after all. I should be treated like one. I now sit up from my position and stare straight ahead. Why should I care what they think? Why should I care what he thinks? I deserve everything that has happened.

Around five minutes before the scheduled landing time, the team go back to their seats. They must notice me sitting up, as everything goes silent. The only noise is the whir of the engine beneath us.

The landing is rough but I stay as still as possible.

I'm in a small space filled with profilers. I cannot show any weakness.

The second that we are permitted to stand I get out of my seat and walk up to Hotch. He seems almost startled by my actions. I would probably be able to tell if he showed emotion.

"Thank you for the opportunity to work with your team Agent Hotchner." I now turn to face Spencer. "My superior is already aware of what I've done."

He just stares at me. Not in the gentle and caring way that I have gotten used to. No. This stare comes from a stranger. I don't give either time to come up with a reply as I swiftly grab my bag, open the plane door and walk out.

I hear footsteps behind me and turn to see Spencer at the bottom of the plane steps.

"Why?" He asks.

"Why did I hide the truth?" I question, not meeting his eyes.

He shakes his head. "Why were you nice to me?"

I take a long pause to think of my answer. "Because you were different."

"From the team?"

"No. From every other man that I've ever met."

"But you- you've hurt innocent people."

"I know," I say in a small voice.

"You made me believe that you were good." He begins to raise his voice. "You lied to me. And after all my thinking of us-." He stops himself.

"Spencer, please don't. None of what we did was ever a lie. I made my way out of that place six years ago. I'm different. Please." My voice breaks at that last word. I take a step forward, but he takes one step back.

"Don't Jaella."

It's only when I board the train from Quantico to DC that I think about everything. Most of my thoughts are occupied by Spencer. From the moments that I felt most at ease and happy, to the moments on that plane ride, where he called me a murderer.

I just wish that I could explain everything.

How do you tell someone that you were given no other choice? But of course there was another choice. Dying. I was made lure people to the strip club. I didn't know who they were, or what was going to happen to them. In all honesty, I just thought that I was brining in more customers. That is what I thought, until I was branded with a diamond shaped scar behind my ear. You would never see it, unless you were looking for it. And just like that, I was apart of what the Black Diamonds.

Months later, I would be dragged along to meetings and get togethers. There, the men would pass me around, like fucking pass the parcel. This is where I truly learnt of who they were and what they did. I had been in some low places, but I knew that this was when it all had to come to an end. So that next day, I called the FBI on a burner phone and told them of the gang's whereabouts. When I saw how quickly the FBI rounded them up and sent them to prison, I wanted to be apart of it. I enlisted in a training program, got my dad into a rehabilitation centre and got myself a place to stay.

My thoughts are disrupted by my phone buzzing in my back pocket, informing me that I've got a notification. I take it out and examine the message from USA Today.

MASS BREAK OUT FROM VIRGINIAN PRISON

I curiously swipe to see the full article. My heart stops. The first couple of names listed, were all members of the Black Diamonds.

They know that it was me. I was the only one that could have sold them out.

It is only now that everything seems to hit me. A tear rolls down my cheek. And another. And another. I begin to sob in the empty carriage, and I don't stop until long after I get off the train.

Thank you all I've just seen that I've gotten 600 reads. Hehe Reids. 600!!! When I started this I was genuinely only expecting for me and my bestie to fangirl over it. And here we are today *wipes tear*. Lerv you alll mwah x