Calix shook his head, kissing Kegan on his forehead. "I'm the Alpha," he said, voice full of sorrow. "I've got to be with them."

"You're the future Alpha and it's been a week! Wouldn't they have attacked us by now?" Kegan inquired, crossing his arms and barely holding himself back from clinging on to Calix and demanding he go with him.

"Leon isn't the most level headed," Calix said, not bothering to put on a shirt since he'd be shifting once he got outside anyway. "We don't know when they're going to attack or if they're going to, but we cannot let our guard down."

Kegan sighed. "We told you they'd attack during your ceremony."

Calix shook his head. "Tan and Luke said that would be the best time and they discovered they were liars," he said irritably. "So we have no clue when they will attack, especially if they assume we're prepared, which we will be."

"Fine, so we don't know anything!" Kegan exclaimed, getting out of bed and grabbing Calix's arm. "But I don't think one wolf being there now versus later is going to change what could happen."

"I'm going to be the Alpha. I need to be there."

"And I'm going to be the Luna and you won't let me leave the house!" Kegan snarled, still holding onto Calix.

Calix sighed, pulling away from Kegan before grabbing both of his mate's hands. "I want you safe, love. You're a few days from heat and-"

"That's another reason to stay!"

"I need to be there as much as I can because I won't be able to leave you during heat since we're going to be mated and it's a big commitment to mating and I won't be able to leave," he explained, trying to keep from snapping at Kegan, especially since he was making a lot of good points. "I want to stay here with you, but I can't right now."

Kegan sighed and sat back down on the bed. "If we weren't going to be marking and mating officially you'd be able to leave?" he asked, eyes slightly narrowed.

"Yes. During your last heat since we weren't mating, I was able to stay away from you, even though it irritated Zakai and Jade. Once we mate, our connection will become so much stronger and your heats become that much more painful and my instinct to protect you and care for you will be incredibly strong. It will start as soon as we mark each other."

Kegan hummed, no longer looking at Calix.

"Kegan?"

"Yeah?"

Calix narrowed his eyes, walking over to his mate and sitting on the bed so their thighs brushed together. "What's on your mind? I know you're thinking about something and from your expression it's not something you enjoy," he said, leaning his head on Kegan's as if he'd be able to hear his thoughts.

Kegan shrugged, turning and cuddling closer to Calix. "I mean... if you're really worried about this attack we could just put off mating and I can spend my heat alone," he mumbled, hating the words as they spilled from his mouth.

In an instant, Kegan found himself on his back, Calix hovering over him with his eyes completely gold, showing Zakai had control of his mate.

"We are not putting this off." Calix's voice was much deeper and angrier than usual, making Kegan shudder and Jade panic. "I need to mate with you and you can't be alone. It'll hurt."

"I've done it before," Kegan said softly, earning a growl from both Calix and Zakai. "I left for the good of our pack, so you and Calix should be able to leave me for the good of our pack."

"No," Calix grumbled, climbing off of Kegan only to seize him in his grip and growl at the idea of leaving his mate while he was in pain. "We are not waiting. I need to protect you and I want to be mated with you."

Kegan sighed, settling into his grip. "Me too," he said, knowing that there would be no dissuading his mate. "I'm sorry I tried to get you to stay. You should go."

Calix shook his head, and Kegan could tell that Zakai was still influencing his actions.

"Calix... go," Kegan said more firmly, irritated when Calix growled. "You'll be with me for a full week once my heat starts. Our pack needs you right now."

"I'll be back soon," Calix said, his normal voice back. "You'll be okay here?"

Kegan hummed in affirmation, kissing Calix before he left.

As soon as Calix shut the front door, Kegan began to feel uneasy. His vision blurred and his head suddenly began to pound, similar to the pains he experienced whenever he was sick.

Then, he felt hot fluid flow down his legs, the scent sickly sweet. Panic flooded his entire being as he tried to call for Calix, but his mate was already gone.

He didn't understand it; he had no real preheat or desire to make himself a safe space.

Yet, his heat had begun.