Chapter 18: Ash

"I swear to god if I have to tattoo another ass this week I'm quitting."'

Trixie paused the TV and patted the seat next to her on the sofa.

"Sit down and tell good ol' Trix your problems."

I held up a finger and went to the fridge to grab two beers.

"So I'm doing the usual drunk ass tat right?" I said as I sat down and handed her a drink. "And this dude lets out a nasty fart."

"Typical." She said, taking a sip.

"Except when he farted a little bit of poop came out."

"Jesus Christ." She grimaced and set her drink on the coffee table.

"So I'm disgusted. It smells awful and I take a step back. But his buddy who is also hammered and about to get a matching ass tat smells it and gets sick."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes. So now I have to clean up this guy's vomit and deal with them yelling at me for not finishing their tattoos. T.J. had a shitty customer earlier too and that whole thing set him over the edge. So then he starts making a scene and then get this, Big B's client starts freaking out and fucking passes out!"

"Shut the fuck up."

"I can't make this shit up." I took a long sip of my drink.

"Damn." She shook her head. "The one day I leave work early all the crazy shit happens."

"Yeah, thanks for rubbing it in my face."

She gave a half-laugh.

"What're you doing tonight?" She asked.

"Something involving alcohol."

"Dee, Cass, and I are going out if you want to join." She picked up her beer. "There'll definitely be alcohol involved."

"Tempting, but I think I'll pass."

"Bummer... So, uh, random question," she took a long sip of her drink. "How are you and Cass?"

"We're good." I nodded. "I think. I haven't seen her in like a week. Not since breakfast."

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"She doesn't hate me, right?" I tried to hide the concern in my voice, "I mean, why do you ask? Did she say something?"

"Genuine curiosity." She shrugged. "She doesn't hate you. Don't worry she likes you."

I nodded and relaxed.

"Do you like her?"

"Yeah, she's cool," I said. "Why?"

"No, do you like-like her?"

"Do I... dude. 'Like-like'? What're we in elementary school right now?"

She raised a brow.

"I mean, yeah I want to fuck her like all the time but I don't want to date her."

She smiled and took another drink.

"Why all the Cass questions?"

"Just checking in." She patted my arm. "You never tell me about your feelings anymore."

"I can't even understand my own feelings. Don't take it personally."

"Everything okay?"

"This whole Jade thing is really fucking with me. And I feel bad putting Cass in the middle of all of it but she makes me feel good you know? So I don't want to end anything between us.