Chapter 4: Ash

"I can't let you do this to her!"

"What?" I turned around in confusion to see Trixie running up from the stairs. "Who?"

"Cassia! I can't let you go through with your little 'fuck you Mateo' plan and use her." She stopped in front of me and sat on my desk. "Listen, I know you... and I'm starting to understand her and I'm really afraid that you're going to end up breaking her heart!"

"Woah," I laughed. "Like I told you before, she's not my actual girlfriend. She knows what she's getting into."

Trixie narrowed her eyes at me.

"Okay fine." I raised my hands up. "She knows like eighty percent of what she's getting herself into.  I promise I won't try any moves on her in case she falls for my charm or whatever the hell it is you're afraid of, but let's face it, that won't happen because she's probably not into guys like me but polo wearing frat boys instead. And I especially promise that I won't try anything on her because at the end of the night I'm sure she won't climb into bed with me... and I'm not going to waste my time or energy on that."

"Wow." She crossed her arms and shook her head. "Can you just pretend for one minute that you're not a complete douchebag?"

"Well, do you want me to tell you the truth or lie to you?" My voice grew louder.

"I don't care what you tell me!" She punched my chest. "I just want you to tell Cassia the truth!"

I narrowed my eyes at her as I rubbed the spot where she hit me.

"Why do you care so much?" I asked.

Then realization hit me.

"Do you like her?"

"No, you idiot!" She ran her hands through her hair. "She's truly a good person and I really, really don't want you to hurt her."

We stayed staring at each other in silence.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little bit guilty for having Cassia play this role and lie to my family but it's too late to back out now.

"I'm not changing my mind," I said breaking the silence, "but I'll explain it all to her."

Trixie sighed and dropped her head down.

"Just please be aware of your actions."

"Always." I patted her shoulder as I walked out of the office and down the stairs.

Across the shop I could see her fingers tapping along to the beat of the music playing overhead. Her back was facing me while she sat alone.

"Where's your friend?" I asked behind her when I was in earshot.

She leaned back in her chair and looked at me upside down. She had a goofy grin on her lips.

"She's peeing."

"Oh. Cool, TMI." I laughed.

Cassia giggled and hopped up out of her chair.

"What? You asked." She shrugged smiling.

"That is true." I rubbed the back of my neck. "Hey, so I wanted to talk to you about this weekend. Do you have a sec?"

She scrunched her nose up.

"I don't know. I kind of have an obligation to my friend to be a human stress ball for her. Whos hand will she crush if I'm not here?"

I shook my head and gave a dry laugh.

"I promise it'll quick."

She took her time to think it over and I took my time to check her out. Her hair was pulled up in a bun with curls that escaped and framed her sweet face. She was wearing a vintage Smiths tee tucked into skinny jeans that showed off her curvy legs and round ass. She looked hot.