Chapter 19: Cassia

I woke up in an empty bed.

Sitting up, I wiped the sleep from my eyes and let my eyes adjust to the room. Light was pouring in through the thin curtains. The bedsheet pooled at my waist.

My hand moved to the spot where Ash laid earlier.

Memories of last night came flooding back.

My cheeks grew warm as I remembered the way he held me. The way his breath tickled my neck every time he exhaled. The way his arm wrapped around my waist as his hand found its way under my shirt to rest on my stomach. The way his body pressed against mine left me with butterflies until I fell asleep.

"You're the most beautiful person I've ever met."

I fell back onto the bed. A stupid grin sat on my face before it turned into a frown.

How could a guy like Ash, a guy so far out of my league, actually mean that? I was ordinary. Nothing special.

Ash could have any girl in the world. He's gorgeous and kind and could charm anyone.

And yet, here you are in his bed.

But how many girls have been in his bed before?

I cringed at the thought. The number I made up in my head made me sick.

I crawled out of bed and opened his door. The smell of food instantly hitting me as I stepped out of the room. My stomach growled.

I could hear Ash in the kitchen singing along to a song as I tiptoed to the bathroom not wanting to alert him of my presence just yet.

I caught my reflection in the mirror and froze. My hair was frizzy and several curls had strayed out of the bun I put it in last night. Leftover mascara was smeared on my under eyes. I was a mess.

My purse sat on the counter and I reached for the mascara and lipgloss I had tucked away. I wiped away the mascara under my eyes and applied a quick coat to my lashes. I brushed my teeth, put on the tiniest bit of lip gloss, took the hair tie out of my hair and attempted to calm my curls.

After taking care of business I gave myself one last once over in the mirror and grew self-conscious at my lack of pants.

At least you look cute though.

I tugged the hem of my shirt down and made my way into the kitchen.

Ash had his back to me as he focused on the pans in front of him. His head bobbed along to the beat of the song playing from his phone.

I wrapped my arms around Ash's torso, his bare back warm against my cheek.

I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes.

"Good morning to you too." His voice was deep and raspy and my legs weakened.

He turned around and hugged me before planting a kiss on the top of my head. I felt butterflies stir in my stomach.

"I don't think food has ever smelled this good before. I'm so hungry."

"Good," he smiled, "because I made way too much food."

"What'd you make?" I pulled away from him to look at the food on the stove.

"Bacon, sausage, eggs, and chocolate chip pancakes."

"Chocolate chip pancakes are my favorite." My excitement to eat grew.

"I know." He smiled flipping a pancake. "You told me when we went out for breakfast."

"You remembered?" My heart skipped a beat.

I leaned against the counter next to him.

"Obviously." He smirked, pouring a cup of coffee. "How'd you sleep?"