Part 4

Part 4

(For non-Filipino readers, "Nanay" is a Filipino word for mother and "kuya" is a term used to show respect for older males like the Thai's "P" but just for males.)

When Dr. New arrived at the Vihokratana residence, he checked on Pluem and informed him he already had dinner. Upon hearing this, Frank and Nanon brought dinner to Pluem's room. While watching their older brother eat, the two started asking him questions.

Pluem: I knew it. This is why you volunteered to bring me dinner. Fine. Ask away.

Frank: So how was your day with your cute nurse?

Pluem choked on his food. The younger brothers laughed.

Pluem: What are you talking about, Frank?

Nanon: C'mon kuya. Kuya Chimon is exactly your type, right?

Frank: Agree. And he seems quite nice too. So?

Pluem: I don't know what you're talking about. He was just okay.

Frank: How come you didn't drive him away?

Nanon: Yeah, like how you made your previous nurses leave without even lasting beyond lunchtime?

Pluem: I dunno. Maybe he just really needs the money that's why he had to put up with me.

Frank: Ooooh. Or were you nice to him? Did you smile at him or something?

Pluem: Of course not. Look, I was my just usual self, ok?

Nanon: Hmm. He must be extremely patient then.

Pluem: Nanon, don't forget you're the baby here.

Frank: Nanon's right, kuya. For kuya Chimon to last the entire day with you, he must be extra patient.

Pluem: Whatever. Now's my turn to ask questions. Frank, how was practice? Nanon, how was school?

Frank and Nanon: Kuya..

The brothers did what they always did. Every night, whenever they can, the two younger brothers report to Pluem about how their days went. Pluem may not be the best role model as far as academic success is concerned but the two look up to him anyway. Pluem is like their third parent since their fathers are away most of the time.

Even their parents know that even if Pluem wasn't the perfect student back in school, he never failed to be the best older brother to the two. He was so protective of them so Tay and New could afford to be "cool" dads, letting Frank and Nanon do whatever they want as long as they had Pluem's permission.

---

At 7:45am the next day, Pluem was already waiting for Chimon to knock on his door. He felt weird about the situation and didn't know how his nurse would react to him sending money and practically admitting that he heard the phone conversation.

He started playing on his phone so it wouldn't be awkward. He hoped Chimon would just act as if nothing happened and just do his usual stuff and leave his room like he did yesterday. But Chimon had other plans.

"Pluem. Good morning," Chimon said in a soft tone while setting up the trolley and preparing Pluem's medications. It was the last dosage of Pluem's IV medications and he'll be on oral medications after.

Pluem didn't look up from his phone. "Hey," he answered.

Chimon: After giving your IV meds today, I'll remove your cannula, OK? Also, Dr. New told me to just stay at one of your guest rooms until Friday. Is that OK with you?

Pluem: Yeah, he told me. It's his house so whatever he says is fine, I guess.

Chimon: Thank you.