fifty ☆ fifty dollars

FEBRUARY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

"alright, i just got this week's paycheck," elena declared, holding an envelope, "let's pray that it's enough for the initial payment."

zach turned around on his swivel chair, and watched elena open the envelope. she analyzed the check, and saw only one hundred dollars, "oh gosh, i'm short fifty."

"hey, don't worry, you still have one more day," zach pointed out.

elena rolled her eyes, "no, zach, you don't get it. i get payed minimum wage and i only work three hours a day. and on top of my job, i'm so busy with school. if i work three hours tomorrow, i'll only make, like, twenty dollars. and my paycheck only comes every monday. i don't have enough time to make fifty dollars in time for wednesday."

she sighed, and ran her fingers through her dark hair as she thought of a plan.

"i-i'm sorry. i didn't realize how difficult it was," zach apologized, "how about this? give the hundred dollars, and tell them you'll get the rest of the payment by next monday, and that you just wanted to put in some money to reserve your spot. i'm sure they'd understand."

elena nodded, and look at her cellphone. a text from karen appeared, and she said that she needed elena at home.

"hey, karen needs me," elena declared, showing zach her phone.

"alright, i'll go put my shoes on, you can go ahead. i'll be downstairs in a few," zach replied, watching elena head out of his room.

however, zach noticed that elena left the envelope with her money on his desk. he rummaged through his wallet, and found two twenty-dollar bills and a ten-dollar bill. he slickly placed the money inside the envelope, and headed downstairs.

-

on wednesday morning, elena headed to the classroom of ms. carlson, the main coordinator and supervisor for the senior trip, to make her reservation payment.

"hi, ms. carlson," elena greeted, knocking on the open door to establish she was present, "i have money for the trip."

"very well, thank you so much, elena!" ms. carlson remarked, taking the envelope from her.

"uh, ms. carlson, i have to be honest," elena sighed, "there's only one hundred dollars in there. i know my paycheck from my job isn't enough for the full reservation payment, and i understand if you won't accept the money and i can't go on the trip, but i just wanted to give you the money so you have at least something for my reservation. i'll make sure to have the extra fifty on monday."

ms. carlson opened the envelope, and counted the money, "elena, you have the perfect amount of money, why are you apologizing?"

"what?" elena asked, counting the money as well, "how is that possible?"

the teacher shrugged, "i'm not sure, but hey, you're officially reserved for the trip! don't forget, the next payment is due in three weeks."

elena nodded, "alright, thank you so much, ms. carlson!"

-

zach picked up elena from school, and the two headed to royal berry bowls. before elena's shift, the two sat down on the beanbag's, and talked about their day.

"you won't believe what happened today," elena started, "i was giving ms. carlson my reservation payment and i was explaining that i didn't have enough money, but when she counted what was in the envelope, it was the perfect amount! i wonder how that happened."

"i kind of have an idea of how it happened," zach admitted, "i may or may not have slipped fifty dollars into the envelope when you left it in my room."

"zach!" elena gasped, covering her mouth with her hand, "hey, i told you that i didn't want you to pay for me."

"i know," zach replied, playing with his fingers, "i didn't want to risk you not going on that trip. ellie, you're literally the reason why i'm going, and i want to be able to spend time with you in hawaii. that would be so fun, and i didn't want you to miss out on any of that."

elena smiled, and embraced the brunet in front of her, "thank you, zach, for caring about me. i really appreciate what you did. don't worry, i'll pay you back on monday."

"no, ellie, it's fine," zach reassured, "i told you that you can come to me when you need help."

elena's shift began, and zach waited for her until it was over. while she was working, he started on some of his homework. however, he caught himself glimpsing at elena multiple times. watching her smile at all the customers made him smile as well, and he started feeling something different.

once her shift was over, the two headed in zach's car so he could drive elena to her house. the clear sky quickly turned gray and dark, and water droplets began to pour.

"i love the rain, is it just me?" elena asked, staring at the water droplets fall down the window, "i always like to think the raindrops are racing each other."

"no way, i used to do that too," zach agreed.

he parked right in front of elena's house, but instead of just simply opening the door and heading inside, elena stopped in the middle of the street. zach rolled down his window, "ellie, what are you doing?"

elena laughed, and threw her hands up in the air. the pouring water splashed all over her, and she was soaking wet. she danced, jumped, and even laid down on the concrete. the dark-haired girl turned around to face zach who was still in his car, "hey, are you coming out, or what?"

zach opened the door, and joined elena in the rain. the two held hands and spun in a circle without a care in the world. even if it were just for a short moment, the little word containing just zach and elena was perfect. zach gazed in elena's brown eyes, and he couldn't help but wonder why he started feeling strange.

-

liked by corb0nebess0n, friskydiskydaniel, okzach, and 37 otherselenasvlogchannel i wuv zach herron and he is my favowite pewson eva <3view all 9 comments

elenasvlogchannel i wuv zach herron and he is my favowite pewson eva <3
view all 9 comments...
okzach :)
presleyforpres GIRL ur stunning why is this not on ur rinsta
elenasvlogchannel omg REALLY
i wasn't sure whether or not it was
rinsta worthy
friskydiskydaniel do i spy... a SHIP
corb0nebess0n zalena 👀
okzach huh
elenasvlogchannel wut
load more comments...

...