Tali snarled at Kegan, shoving him off of her. She sat down and howled again, louder this time. When she finished she glared at Kegan, daring him to attack her again.

Kegan just whimpered and crouched down once again. He didn't want to run with her; he wanted to hide and stay safe until Calix found him.

Irritated, Tali began to walk away, glancing back at Kegan to see if he'd follow. She growled at him, trying to get him to follow, but he refused to move from his position on the ground.

"Jade, tell me what she's doing," Kegan pleaded. "Please don't leave me. I need you to help me!"

Even though he and Jade argued, he was happy to have finally heard the voice of his wolf. He wasn't ready for Jade to fall back into silence and not speak with him for another twenty years.

Jade remained silent, his fear clear in Kegan's mind. It was clear his wolf was having some kind of panic attack and it was even stronger and more overwhelming than the fear bubbling in Kegan's gut.

"Jade, you need to talk with Tali. How else am I supposed to know what's going to happen?!"

Tali sighed, walking over to Kegan and nudging him with her nose. She whined when he stayed still, Jade still holding some influence over his actions and keeping them from following.

Another howl echoed through the air, and Tali returned it, sitting next to Kegan and nudging him, gently trying to get him to move. A sudden movement in the forest made Kegan get up and run to a bush, hiding under the brush and trembling.

Tali was smart and she wasn't the one they were after; she'd be okay.

Kegan was the one in danger, and he felt the need to hide. He didn't know what was moving in the forest, until something caught his enhanced sense of smell.

He sat up, walking out of his hiding spot. He found Tali in the same spot she'd been sitting for the past few minutes, and beside her was a familiar black wolf.

"Mate!" Jade shrieked, and Kegan found himself surging toward the wolf, tackling him to the ground and nuzzling against him.

Kegan scoffed mentally. "Now you decide to talk."

"Don't give me that attitude," Jade hissed irritably. "That enhanced smell shit didn't do anything for us."

"It worked up until you decided to fall silent and leave me to try to figure out what to do! I'm sure it's counterproductive if your wolf side leaves you," Kegan hissed at Jade, outraged by his wolf's behavior.

Jade huffed and fell silent once again, his irritation reminiscing in Kegan's mind.

Kegan chose to ignore his wolf and focus on his mate, who had gotten up and was cuddling his mate closely, licking his ears and muzzle.

Tali yipped, drawing their attention. She nodded toward forest, as if trying to tell them to get going before Leon's pack chose managed to find and attack them.

The same thought struck Kegan as he realized that Leon's pack had basically doubled in size and they were pissed. He turned to where Tali was looking and began to trot toward the forest, glancing back at Calix and waiting for him to follow.

Calix didn't hesitate to catch up with him and walk as closely to his mate as possible. He mind linked his pack and ordered them to head back toward home, also contacting Tan and asking him to keep the North River pack members away from the north side of the lake so they didn't find Kegan.

Eventually they ended up beside the Twilight River and followed it back toward the Blood Moon pack. It took hours, the sun setting by the time they made it back. Thankfully no North River wolves ever found them so they never needed to sprint back.

Calix kept watching his mate, scared that he'd end up overly exhausted and collapse in the middle of the woods.

When they made it back, Calix ushered Kegan to the pack house and to their room, where they both shifted back and put on clothes.

"Are you mad?" Kegan asked quietly, knowing his mate was probably pissed that he took off without warning.

Calix scoffed. "I'm livid," he said, sitting on the bed and crossing his arms. "You took off without telling me, nearly gave me a heart attack, all while knowing you could've been hurt and abused going back there!"

Kegan hung his head in shame. "I'm sorry," he whispered, standing against the wall. He was not daring enough to approach an angry Alpha, mate or not.

"Come here," Calix said, making Kegan's stomach drop. "You know I'm not going to hurt you, even if I am mad."

Kegan slowly walked over to Calix, yelping in shock when he was pulled into a tight hug. He slowly put his arms around Calix, surprised that he wasn't continuing his enraged lecture.

"I was so terrified, you don't understand," Calix said, his voice breaking as he began to cry. "I thought you weren't going to be able to come back and I couldn't do anything about it!"

Kegan ran his hands through Calix's hair as he continued to cry into his chest. "I just wanted to protect the pack," he said softly, voice pleading Calix to understand.

Calix sighed. "I know. That's why I can't stay mad," he whispered, pulling away from Kegan's chest and looking up at him. "Please just talk to me next time and let us form a real plan."

Kegan shook his head. "We didn't have time and you wouldn't have let me go," he said shallowly.

Groaning, Calix flopped back on the bed, covering his eyes. "Guess I'm going to have to learn to trust you a little better, huh?" he asked.

Kegan smiled and crawled into bed, molding himself into Calix's side and relaxing into his Alpha's comforting hold.

"I guess so."