ch 5- Try outs

"Drive, fast and far away!"  I shouted as I jumped in the passenger seat of my car and Kayla quickly pulled out of the school parking lot confused and bewildered.

"What about volleyball try outs?"  She asked looking at me but, aslo trying to keep her eyes on the road as I looked behind me hoping that Holden Kane wouldn't be on the look out for my car.

"We'll come back once everyone's gone in like 15 minutes but, for now my car needs to be out of this parking lot."  I said still looking out the window and feeling Kayla's eyes on me for a second before she turned them back on the road.

Kayla had study hall as her last period of the day and I took that as my opprutunity to get my car out of the school parking lot before an angry group of teenage boys came looking for it. 

"Can you please tell me what's going on?"  She asked frantically once we were safely driving down the long road that lead back to civilization and hopefully food.

I didn't even get to have lunch today or go to most of my classes thanks to Justin's three hour long tour.  After the first hour hit it was pretty obvious he just wanted to get out of all his classes.  Then when the lunch bell rang I was called to the office to fill out paper work which took another two hours.  Then I fianlly got to go to my advance chem class which I took with Justin as well and then I had to meet with the guidance counselor so it was basically my least productive first day of school ever.  Luckily the counselor let me out ten minutes early though that way me and Kayla had a grade A escape plan.

"And how did you get out of class so early?"  Kayla asked and I sighed.

"I had to meet with the guidance counselor and she let me go early."  I said answering the first question.

"Okay and about the freaky James Bond escape plan?"  Kayla urged on.

"Let's just say I ran into an unhappy Holden in the hallway this morning on my tour.  God this plan is already going down the toilate.  Once Holden figures out it's my car he's after he's going to have it out for me.  Just like old times and I'll have no hope of getting in with the 'Trinity'."  I said frusterated and pulled out my phone to look at the time. 

I still had 25 minutes before try outs and my stomach was grumbling. 

"Can we go through a drive though?  I'm literally dying."  I said grabbing hold of my stomach for dramatic effect and Kayla laughed alreay changing her course of direction.

"Does he even have any idea it was you driving?  I mean odds are no one even knows you drive this car.  I can drive you to school from now on and once you actually are friends with him it won't matter that you two almost wrecked into each other."  Kayla said reassuringly and I nodded in agreement as she pulled into a McDonalds's drive through.

Not the best food before a try out but, it works.

"Yeah I guess that would work and I mean he was being friendly to me for some weird reason."  I scoffed thinking of his stupid face.

"He probably wants to get with you.  I told you before, he's slutty." Kayla said like it was obvious and I laughed so hard tears were running down my cheeks.

"Holden Kane wanting to get with me.  That's almost as funny as demon Adam wanting to get with me."  I cried and Kayla only shook her head as she pulled up to the drive through window ordering us two Big Mac combos with a Diet Coke for her and a Poweraid for me. 

Just like old times.

After she paid and laughed a little at my Holden joke she turned to me.

"I'm being serious Hayley the whole school was buzzing about 'the hot new blonde girl' today and Madison even said that in her Calculous class this afternoon Holden and Justin were talking about how 'smokin' you were."  Kayla explained as I was taking a sip of my drink that I practically spit out on her after she said that.

"Ew!  I don't know what's worse Holden hating me or Holden thinking I'm hot.  How the hell does Justin even put up with those two anyways?"  I asked shoving fries in my mouth as Kayla pulled over so that we could both eat.

"Oh my god!  You didn't figure it out from this morning did you?"  Kayla shrieked in amusement and I looked at her confused.

"Figure what out?"

"The third member of the 'Trinity' is Justin." 

My jaw dropped in utter horror.  Not Justin Waldecker!  He actually seemed like a cool person too.

"What?! Why?  How?!"  I grabbed hold of Kayla's arm and she only shook her head.

"Appearantly their parents go way back and every summer they spend it all together at the Calleja's beach house in Costa Luna.  Adam and Ava moved here at the start of high school from New York, Justin went to a boarding school for grade school, and well Holden's been here his whole life...unfortuneately." 

"Still though.  Justin of all people?" 

"Yeah, it's going to suck taking him down."  Kayla said melodramatically and I threw a fry at her.

"Kayla!" 

"What?  He still helped get Lucas in trouble no matter how nice he is now, he still did that!"  She exclaimed and I nodded in agreement.

She was right and man did I hate that she was.

"He gets to go down easy though."  I warned and Kayla nodded. 

"Whatever floats your boat Hailes."  And just the mention of my nickname that Justin used today made my stomach drop.  I couldn't believe I had to do him harm.

"You should probably drive me back to school.  I have to kick butt in try outs remember."  I added and Kayla gave me a winning smile.

"That's the Hayley I know and love!"  She said as she started pulling out of the McDonald's parking lot.

-----------

"Hayley you actually came!"  Ava squealed as I walked into the gym in full volleyball gear.  Shoes, high poneytail, knee pads, and spandex included!  I was ready to ace this try out and even though I was half doing it to get in with the 'Trinity' it felt good to be playing again.

Ava stood in the center of the gym floor by the volleyball net wearing navy blue spandex and a matching navy blue jacket that read 'Captain' on the back.  Next to her stood another girl maybe two inches taller with long light blonde hair tied back in a braid. 

I walked over to them confidently as I noticed the rest of the team getting ready on the bleachers all wearing matching practice jerseys or jackets.

"Where's everyone else that's trying out?"  I asked and the blonde haired girl looked at Ava confused. 

"I thought we had try outs two weeks ago?"

"We did.  Callie, our old libero, tore her ACL last week so we need a new one.  If you can keep up with us in practice coach said you're in."  Ava said with a raise of the eyebrow and I intook a sharp breath. 

So it was that easy...

Or that hard.

"Okay girls gather around!"  A whistle was blown and the blonde girl followed  over to the bleachers where a tall older looking lady with red hair was standing.  I assumed she was the coach.

"Don't be nervous Hayley.  You can do this."  Ava squeezed my arm tightly before running off to hear what the coach had to say. 

I walked over tossing my duffle bag on the bleachers confidently making some of the other girls stare at me but, Ava only gave me a reassuring smile.

It was now or never Monahan.

I had to bring my A game.

Ugh I hate doing short chapters but, I guess this one had to be done.  Anyways fingers crossed Hayley makes the team! 

Vote, comment, and Read On loves!

<3 Rea

Nina Dobrev on the right