Ch 12: Bagels and Boys

“Hayley, if you don’t open this door in five minutes I’m going to break it down myself!”  There was three loud pounds on the door and while I should have rushed to open it I decided to take my time.

 I mean it wasn’t that I was hung over or anything.

No.

I was worse than hung over.

I was ashamed so as I finally took my eyes off my ceiling which I had been starring at for the past hour and trudged to my bedroom door Kayla’s jaw practically dropped at my appearance. 

“Your hair!  And make up!  And_”

“You can stop!”  I said putting my hand up to end whatever she was about to say.

“How did you get in anyways?” 

“Your parents let me in on their way to take Ashley to her soccer game.”  Kayla gave me a sympathetic smile as she took her other hand from behind the door to reveal a paper bag and a coffee. 

“I stopped at Glenn’s Bagels on the way over here.  I thought you might have needed one.”  She said lightly and I laughed as I took the bag without a second thought. 

“You have no idea!”  I pulled a blueberry bagel smothered in cream cheese out of the bag and took a big bite of it and man how I had missed Glenn’s Bagels. 

“So you’re not that hung over then considering you’re attacking that bagel?”  Kayla asked raising an eyebrow at me as she sat down on the bean bag chair sipping her own coffee.

I took another bite of my bagel before sitting across from her on my bed ready to explain.

“Not exactly.  Yes, I drank last night but, I didn’t get too drunk.  I’m just feeling lousy I guess.”  I scratched the back of my head and then glanced at the full length mirror on my door.

And she was right.  My hair was in a lazy side bun on top of my head, my eye make-up was practically melted on my face and my off the shoulder t-shirt was twisted almost all the way around my body.  I was a hot mess.  Actually hot implies that you at least were rocking it.

And trust me.  I was not.

“Are you sick then?”  Kayla questioned taking another sip of her coffee and analyzing me.

“No, worse than sick.  I’m ashamed.”  I said and I wanted to laugh at myself.

My life was totally becoming some type of lame soap opera. 

“Oh god!  Did you do something at the party?  Wait!  Let me guess!  You spilled a drink on someone?  No that happens so often at parties it’s not that bad.  You spilled a drink on yourself?  No that’s not something to be ashamed of and you were wearing a vaguely dark shirt.  I got it!  You did that weird dance move you invented in the 7th grade.  What did you call it again?  Oh yeah, the robot duck!” 

“I made out with Holden Kane!”  I shouted and Kayla’s jaw dropped as she sit her coffee on the floor and stood up.

“You what?!” 

“Yeah I don’t know.  It just happened.  I mean he told me he had a crush on me when we were kids.  I was in his bedroom.  He started kissing me and it was good and then things moved to the bed and oh my god, I could have had sex with him.”  I bit my bottom lip and ran my hands through my destroyed hair as Kayla’s eyes practically fell out of her head.

“I don’t understand though.  You loathed Holden.  Why would you want to give it up to him?”  Kayla asked and I looked up at her confused.

Give it up?  Wait does she think I’m a virgin?  Is she a virgin?