Chapter Sixteen

Shouto sat in a bench patiently. It was a calm Saturday at lunch time, and it was the time for Shouto and Sunako's study plan. He was fidgeting in his seat as he waited for the girl, maybe he had arrived too early? Shouto didn't know, but it was much better than arriving late.

The train station wasn't thankfully packed with people, and the train ride from their division to here didn't take too long. Shouto checked his phone for the third time and did a time check. He turned it off and placed it in his pocket.

A finger tapped his right shoulder all of a sudden, he turned around and faced the person, Sunako stood there with a light smile, dressed in a simple long sleeved shirt and jeans.

"Hey, were you here for long?" Sunako asked, Shouto stood up and gathered his bag.

"Not really. I got here five minutes ago." He replied, walking beside the girl.

"That's great. The orphanage shouldn't be that far from here. It'll take us about minutes to walk."

Shouto nodded in understanding, looking around the neighbourhood, the houses didn't look any different than the others, but they were built a little less bigger and spacious than their own neighbourhood back home.

"So, um...what are we studying today?" Sunako broke the silence.

"Well, did you need help with anything?" He asked.

"You see, I'm kind of having troubles with English. Specifically the difference in verbs and such." Sunako muttered.

"We can start there, then." He said, a beat of silence passed them again, Shouto hated it.

"Tell me about the orphanage." He said, glancing at her.

"Hm? Oh, yeah." Sunako cleared her throat, "Well, a little warning, there are kids there, and they could be a little loud and maybe nosy. But don't worry, we can study in my own room."

"It's all right, it's a nice change from the quiet lunch and dinner we have back at home." Shouto told her.

"Usually, Fuyumi's the only one who talks whenever the old man joins us." He continued.

"Oh...I'm sorry you have to go through that." Sunako said quietly, as if she was afraid to speak too loud.

"Yeah." He paused, he had to get rid of the awkward and somber silence he created, so he said, "You said you have your own room?".

"Yeah, even if I told Hijikata-san that it's a little unfair for the other kids. But she insists that there wasn't a problem."

Shouto hummed, continuing to look around. Suddenly, Sunako halted and gestured to a fairly large traditional Japanese house.

"Here we are. Lunch is probably starting right now." Sunako said, they stepped inside and removed their shoes, putting it aside neatly.

"Are we late?" Shouto asked, hearing faint laughter and clanging of plates from further down the hall.

"Pretty sure we're not. Come on, I want you to meet Hijikata-san, I kind of told her that you really like cold soba." Sunako said, leading him further inside the house and into a room.

When they opened the door, Shouto saw about ten young kids sitting together. Laughing and chatting about something he couldn't understand. Sunako grabbed his arm and directed him to a room connected to the dining room.

"Hijikata-san? We're here." Sunako called, a fairly aged lady approached them, wearing a warm smile on her face.

"Is that your friend? Welcome, dear." The lady said to him kindly.