Chapter Forty Three

Start from the beginning

The rest of the drive just consisted of Ares changing the radio to different stations but never actually finding something he wanted to listen to until it eventually irritated Lucas and he shut the radio off.

"Okay, we're here" Lucas said as he turned the car off and unbuckled his seat belt.

"You really think we're gonna be able to find the same one? I mean, we don't even know what store Ceres bought it from" Ares said as the two walked from the parking lot to the mall.

"You keep saying negative crap like that and we definitely won't find it" Lucas said with a short glare and Ares muttered a small 'sorry'.

The two stepped into their first of many stores and began to look around for the snow globe.

"This is just a bunch of knickknacks" Ares muttered as he looked at all the items on the shelf.

"Well, that's not surprising. It isn't winter anymore so I guess they'll be harder to find. Let's go to the next store" Lucas said and the two continued to go from store to store.

"How hard is it to find a fucking snow globe?" Ares said and suddenly he stopped in his tracks.

"What?" Lucas asked.

"The shop I work at. They sell shit like that all year round" He said and Lucas nodded.

"It's worth a try" he said and so the two headed off to the antique shop that Ares worked at.

"Hey, Chris. Boss isn't in today?" Ares asked as he walked up to a woman who was behind the register.

"No. He says he isn't feeling well today so I offered to take over...who's your friend?" Christine said as she eyed Lucas.

"This is my brother Lucas" Ares said and Lucas gave a short nod at Christine who just continued to eye Lucas, clearly liking what she was seeing.

When noticing the look she was giving Lucas, Ares stepped in front of him and gave a pointed look to Christine.

"He's off limits" Ares said with a tight lipped smile and Christine gave him a smirk before making a surrendering gesture.

Ares made the 'I'm watching you' gesture with his hand before guiding Lucas away from the woman.

"This place is pretty empty..." Lucas said as he looked around the shop and Ares shrugged.

"Yeah we don't usually get a lot of customers and the customers we do get are a bunch of old people" he said.

"Isn't your boss worried the shop might close down?" Lucas asked.

"No, not really. That guy does whatever he wants without a care in the world. The last thing on his mind is the shop's closure" Ares said as he looked amongst the multiple snow globes.

Lucas also began to look at the globes in search for the original globe. Many times he thought he'd found it but then would second guess himself and continue to look.

"I think...I think this it" Ares said and Lucas' eyes snapped up to Ares who was holding a globe in his hand. Lucas had to admit, it did look like the original but there was always that little inkling of doubt in his heart.

He didn't want to take any chances and he couldn't exactly say that Ares was the most reliable source at times. After all, if Lance did somehow find out, Lucas would get in trouble as well just for helping Ares try to cover it up.

"Are you sure?" Lucas said and Ares nodded.

"Yeah" he said before heading up to the register.

When Ares placed the globe down on the counter, Christine's eyes widened a little.