Chapter 7~Internal Struggle

Start from the beginning

   I closed my eyes taking a deep breath as my eyes fell back on Rachel and this time I knew it was different.

   I gazed down at her body as I watched her chest slowly rise and fall. She groaned in between breaths and I assumed it was her wolf whining to the pain. Blood seeped through her bandages as her eyes were closed though I could tell she was restless in her sleep. I lifted my hand towards her face afraid that my touch would hurt her. My hands shook nervously and I felt weakness in my heart. She was hurt; in so much pain because of me. I grimaced as my eyes burned feeling the sensation of emotion slam into me. I was beginning to feel. Feel the pain, lost, and denial of losing the ones who had already passed.

   When my fingertips connected to Rachel's moisten hot skin I felt this electric current that brought tears to the edges of my eyes. My jaw trembled as I leaned down to her placing a soft kiss over her forehead. "I'm...sorry." My voice was wobbly and soft.

   Rachel stirred and I moved up begging silently for her to open her eyes. I could tell she tried but her injuries were too grave for her to achieve.

   Sara whispered to Rachel, "Its okay...just sleep. I'm right here."

   Rachel groaned before fighting her sleep. And before I stood a tear slipped from my eyes falling to her face.

   Once I was erect I looked at my surrounding, looking at everyone with new eyes. Jerome was in a corner trying to comfort his younger siblings in the death of their father Felix. Cormic tried helping a few Weres but I could tell he was battling something inside.

   When I turned toward Nina, she was already standing next to me. We locked eyes for a moment until I let my shield down enough for her to read me completely.

   "Please stay with us..." She whispered. She slipped her arms around me as she buried her face into my neck. Her warmth was safe and that was something new. I never thought of feeling safe by anyone other than myself. I wrapped my arms around her, hugging her body as I felt her shake a little. "Please McKayla..."

   She knew me all to well. She saw it in my eyes what I needed to do. "I have to," I muttered, mentally fragile to face her.

   "No...you don't," Nina argued. "You see how they twisted your mind. You can't face them...not now."

   I pulled away only enough to look into Nina's eyes. "I was...was confused. But I see clearly now that they have to...to--"

   "You can't even say it." Nina eyes narrowed in on me, challenging, as her tone edged onto high pitch anger.

   "I know what needs to be done," I frowned pulling away.

   Nina yanked me back to her. "You don't have to get mad and leave now." Nina's voice wasn't angry anymore. I knew she had given up on the argument. Rather she thought she was right or not she knew it was something I had to do, she quit trying to convince me to stay. Partly because it was simply who I was. I had to confront Rogue and Sal on my own.

   "Cormic will go with you." Nina wasn't asking me, only telling me. I groaned, letting her lean onto me as I realized since being with her, I needed to learn and at least compromise.

   I brushed some of her hair back with my fingers as she looked me in my eyes. I hadn't been showing her enough how much I cared about her. She looked so sad and scared for everyone, including me. I connected our foreheads together, breathing in her essence of burnt wood and Rosemary. I began to feel enthralled. "I love you," I whispered for only her to hear. I felt her shudder, taking a deep breath, and I leaned my head a little closer to her ears. "I only want you. The night I left this pack, my heart stayed here...with you."