022 ✦ Sniper

As the blue-haired girl crouched low into the bush, she could feel someone's eyes bore into her. She was on Zevil Island in the Fourth Phase, desperately looking to find her target. She hadn't the slightest clue as to who it was, and when she asked the boys about it, they didn't know either. Uneasily, she started to crawl away from her spot, wherever she could, until she finally felt like she wasn't being watched.

Juice had absolutely no idea who her target was, nor did she have any clue as to who was targeting her. Kurapika had advised watching all of the other applicants, and if any clues came to mind, or they said something incriminating, she should attack them and steal their tag. The girl thought it was reckless, but it might work. It was three days in, and right now, she was watching a man with a poofy grey ponytail and a blue coat. 

Silently pointing her gun which she had previously hidden under her shirt, she set her eye on the man. He didn't look dangerous, nor did he look like he was paying attention to anything around him. Juice hadn't picked up any clues on his number, but she was getting anxious about the time limit. If she couldn't find her target, she would get three other people's tags and pass that way.

"One, Two, Three. . ." she murmured to herself, and on the count of three, she pulled the trigger. She didn't use a real bullet, only a poisoned dart, but that was enough to send the man toppling over. Shooting the gun was a risk due to the noise, but she could quickly snatch his tag and run, leaving behind no evidence. She moved quietly and quickly, taking his tag and running. It wasn't the one she was looking for, but it was a tag, nonetheless.

Squatting down at the edge of a small clearing, she recollected her thought. "Okay, I have one tag down, it was pretty easy to get. It's not the tag I was looking for, but it's a tag."  She started feeling uneasy again, as the sensation of being watched flooded back to her. "At this rate, I'll be able to pass, and I might even find the tag I'm looking for if I'm lucky."

She thought it was weird talking to herself, even though she did it all the time. With an uneasy feeling in her gut, she stood up and shoved the tag in her backpack. Just as she turned her head, the weird feeling exploded, and she instantly turned around, only to be met with the view of a girl hidden in the mountains behind her. She gasped as she felt something shoot through her ankle.

"Oh, hell no."  She cursed under her breath as her ankle started bleeding, the pain erupting as she tried to step away. She barely dodged another bullet, and then another. The sniper targeting her wasn't hitting her mark fast enough, and thankfully, that time allowed Juice to stumble away into the cover of the dense forest.

"Why'd that crazy bitch have to go and do that!" she whisper yelled, wanting to cry out because of the pain in her foot. Once she was a couple of hundred yards away from where she previously was, she collapsed onto the side of a tree, examining her ankle as she wiped tears away.

Why didn't I realize sooner?, she thought, reaching into her backpack to find something to stop the bleeding. Of course there was a stupid sniper watching me!

With the waves of pain only coming faster, she grabbed a thin blanket from her pack and did her rest to splint it. It wasn't broken, but she wasn't a doctor, she didn't know what else to do. Even though she was armed with a gun, she didn't know what to do when she was shot with one.

The bullet didn't go all the way through, but it was embedded pretty deep. The sight of her torn skin made the girl sick, and her gagging, crying self did her best to stop the bleeding once the splint was on.

"Where's Leorio when you need him?" she muttered, crawling to a little niche in a nearby tree for protection. How she was going to pass this phase, she didn't know, but even with a bullet through her ankle, she swore she would pass.

Moving her ankle a bit to readjust herself, she thought twice about that statement.

"I wish Kurapika was here. . ."

{--| | --}

"Kurapika, is that- is that you?" the tired girl muttered, awaking from her daze. She saw someone with short blonde hair crouching down in front of her. She was somehow in the middle of the forest instead of the niche she had fallen asleep in. Thinking nothing of it, she reached her hand out to the figure.

Her vision cleared, and she saw that it was in fact Kurapika. He smiled down at her, the caring gaze on his face that he showed whenever he looked at his little sister. "Juice, it's me," he said, taking her hand and sitting next to her. "Juice, what did you do to your foot?"

Juice rubbed her eye with one hand and smiled wearily at him. "Ah, well, a sniper shot my ankle. It doesn't hurt that much now, surprisingly."  She rolled her ankle a bit, proving that it was okay. "See?"

"A sniper?! Seriously?" he gasped, taking her injured foot into his lap. "Are you sure you bandaged it properly?! I guess using a splint was a good idea, but did you stop the bleeding?"  Upon getting no answer, he looked back up at his sister. "Juice?"

Juice's expression was petrified. She was looking just above him into the distance, her eyes slowly going scarlet. "Kurapika. . . you need to move, now," she stated, sweat forming on her forehead. 

"Why? What's wrong?" Kurapika turned his head towards the direction Juice was looking in, but he saw nothing.

The girl's expression only turned more frantic as the seconds passed by. "Kurapika, we need to leave, now!" she cried, lifting her foot out of his lap and crawling across the grass. "Kurapika, come here!"

She saw her. The sniper that shot her ankle, tried to take her out. She was aiming directly for them. Why wouldn't Kurapika move?! Their lives were in danger!

Pulling the trigger, the sniper shot a bullet. Then another. And then another. Kurapika still hadn't moved, and now, he couldn't move. All three bullets went through him, and Juice could only watch from the sidelines. A bullet went through his head, his shoulder, his torso. At the moment the first bullet went through his head, he slumped over, dead.

"Kurapika!" Juice screeched, clambering over to her dead brother with shocked tears pouring out of her eyes. A large puddle of blood surrounded him, and the wounds she saw was too much to bear. If she had forced him to move, would he have still been shot? If she had explained the situation, would he have been alright right now? Is he still alive? Why did the sniper shoot him in the first place?! "Kurapika!"

The emotional but foolish decision that Juice made to go to his side, sobbing and barely able to move. The pain in her ankle suddenly multiplied as she tried to move it, shooting all the way up her leg. Once she reached her brother, she realized what she did.

There was still a sniper aiming at her. Once she finally realized that, she snapped her head in the direction of the mountain the sniper was perched on. Another gunshot was heard as she turned, and with her eyes fixated on the bullet coming towards her head,  she didn't realize until it was too late. 

haha I got bored so I decided to kill them off,,,

Word Count: 1327