002 ✦ Departure, Memory, and Re-naming

As Jewels was carried to the village by her apparent friend, Kurapika, she tried to understand the relationship that the two of them had. They were obviously fond of each other, but she needed to further understand it.

She knew that she was childish, that was obvious, and she knew that Kurapika cared about her a lot. It wasn't the most useful information, but it was enough for a very temporary behavior. 

Kurapika and her finally reached the village, and Kurapika went to go find Pairo. Jewels tapped on the boy's shoulder until she grabbed his attention, and blushed when he turned his head to look at her.

"Kurapika, you can put me down now. My foot feels fine."  She muttered, looking down to the best of her abilities. Kurapika's lips contorted into a small frown, but he complied and gently set her on the ground.

"I thought you liked being carried. . ."

Jewels's heart strained when she saw Kurapika look down in disappointment. Not only was she out of her character, she made little Kurapika upset. It was an unforgivable sin, and she had to quickly make it better. 

Panicked, she looked around the terrain and after a few seconds, she had an idea.

"Kurapika!" she cheered, grinning at the boy. He looked up to see the boy his age she was pointing at. "Let's race to Pairo!" 

Jewels started running, praying that that worked, and internally sighed in relief when she heard Kurapika running behind her, laughing. Her heart fluttered at the most beautiful sound she's ever heard in her life, and that inspired her to go faster, and she won the short race.

Of course, Kurapika let her win, but she didn't know that. 

"Pairo!" she yelled, engulfing the boy in a large hug once she met him. It felt like the most natural thing to do. "I win!"

"You win what?" he asked, patting her on the head. She turned her head slightly to gesture to Kurapika, who was finally approaching the two of them. 

"I won the race!"  She let go of Pairo and stood at his side, watching Kurapika walk up to her. "See? My foot is fine."

Kurapika smiled and nodded, sitting down on the grass. "That's good. You win, fair and square. But next time, I'm gonna beat you!"

They all laughed, and played together on the grass. Jewels knew she was a few years too old for this. For what she knew, she was actually older than both of them, and she was quite mature for her age. She thought she was, anyway. There's no way her age could decrease from that simple transaction, right?

==//==//==

Today was the day that Jewels and Kurapika would leave for the outside world. Everyone in the clan waved to them goodbye, and they departed on their animals for the world, their goal to find a doctor for Pairo. 

"Are you sure you got enough hugs, Jules?" Kurapika asked a few minutes after they left the village. Jules had clung to Pairo for at least half an hour, repeatedly hugging him. And before that, she made her parents hold her hands the entire way to the loading grounds and squeezed everything out o them while she was hugging. She had even made a point of hugging Kurapika's parents, as well as Pairo's. And just before she left, she barely could lead herself away from Pairo to get on the animal.