It broke Kegan's heart to see how scared the pup was of him and the Alphas of the pack, but Kegan assumed he wasn't much different when he showed up. He only wished he could help chase the fear away before the pups got to be his age, or they could potentially be terrified of their mates.

Alex was squirming and attempting to escape, but Kegan growled at him, making the terrified pup go limp.

They walked back toward the pack, but halfway there, a low snarl filled the air around them.

Kegan turned around and saw the same wolf he'd seen earlier that morning. It walked out from the bushes, hair raised and growls escaping from its throat.

The growl that the wolf was exerting could only come from an angry Alpha, which scared Kegan to no end. If it got close enough, it could not only hurt him, but it could hurt Alex. Despite the training Tali offered, Kegan wasn't ready to fight while defending a pup, because he couldn't just run and hope that the wolf would leave Alex alone in return for him.

The dark brown wolf neared closer to Kegan, lifting its nose to pick up his scent, as if it was trying to determine who he was. Once it was done sniffing the air, it dove toward Kegan, claws out, and he was barely able to avoid the attack.

Alex was nearly howling in fear, but Kegan ignored him and ran, trying to get as far away from the Alpha and as close to the town as possible.

"Calix is on his way," Jade said, having communicated with Zakai. "Keep running!"

Kegan obeyed his wolf, but he felt teeth latch onto his tail, stopping him from running forward. He was pulled back and cornered against a willow tree, the wolf closing in on him. Kegan set Alex down and stood in front of him, growling at the Alpha and trying to intimidate the attacker.

The other wolf ignored his growls and grew closer, raising a paw to cut him, but a flash of black pulled the wolf away.

Kegan saw Calix's wolf attacking the other Alpha, eyes completely gold and washed over with rage. The dominance of his Alpha was filling the air but being challenged by the other wolf, making Kegan drop to his stomach and pray that the fight would soon be over.

When Calix gained control and raised his claw for the killing blow, Kegan covered Alex completely with his own body, before hiding his own face in his paws. He didn't want to see his mate kill someone, whether they attacked him and deserved it or not.

A shrill howl of the dying wolf echoed in the forest, and seconds later, Kegan felt teeth pulling at his ear.

He looked up and saw Calix, grabbing Alex by the scruff before the young Omega could run off again. Once the pup was secure, Kegan followed Calix back to the town, whimpering when he saw his mate limping, an injury that came as a result of the fight.

They entered the town and found Tali and Lys in their human forms, Oliver sobbing into Tali's chest.

As soon as Lys saw Kegan carrying her other son, she sprinted toward him, ignoring Calix's irritated growls, and took her baby in her arms.

No words were spoken until they'd all shifted back and were given sets of clothes and their injuries checked on. The group, including the pups, ended up sitting at the table in the pack house, knowing that they had to break down what had happened.

"So what happened out there?" Tali asked, still holding Oliver and glancing over to Kegan and Calix. "We know someone attacked, but we don't know who."

"His scent was from the North River pack," Kegan mumbled, not looking away from the wooden table in front of him. "They're not going to stop attacking until they get to me."

"We'll keep fighting them, then," Calix said firmly, taking Kegan's hand in his own.

Kegan scoffed. "You don't get it, Calix. They will not stop attacking! Next time it could be three wolves, or maybe even ten! I wasn't the only one in danger! That wolf could've killed Alex!" he yelled, slamming his fist on the table.

"What are we supposed to do then?" Calix asked, trying to stay calm.

Tears suddenly fell down Kegan's face, and he was unable to stop them. "I need to go back," he said hopelessly, making Calix snarl at him.

"No you will not. You're my mate, future Luna of this pack, and I will not let you go back to some psychotic rapist!"

"But you'd all be safe!" Kegan said, almost pleading with his mate. "I don't care whether this is the strongest pack in the country or not! If the North River pack attacks, there will be fatalities, and I will not have people killed because of me!"

Calix was about to say something else, but then another cut in.

"I have a plan."

The entire group at the table turned to find Tan leaning against the frame to the dining area, looking around at the group.

"What plan?" Calix asked, gripping Kegan's hand so tightly that he was worried he may have accidentally cut off circulation. "And it better be good because I don't have time for bullshit plans today!"

Tan shrugged. "I think we need to go talk to my mate," he said, pursing his lips. "The plan requires him."

"Your mate?" the adults asked in unison.

Tan hummed. "Yes, my mate. Luke. The prisoner."

The room went so silent that they could have heard a pin drop.