I need to forget, I just want to forget.

Finally coming to a decision I grabbed a glass and poured myself a generous serving. I noticed the clock on the microwave read: 7:30

I'll be fine.

Slight hesitation was present as the rim of the glass touched my lips. Squeezing my eyes shut, I tilted my head back and chugged. The burn that started at the center of the tongue and made its way down the esophagus was what I so desperately needed most. I wanted to make sure I was still capable of feeling something...anything. Slamming the glass down, my head came with it as the final drops lingered in my mouth. I stared at the bottle and poured another. The moment the rim touched my lips a sob ripped from my body. My hand flew up to my mouth as I chastised my body for it's betrayal. I clamped my eyes shut, "Stop it Martha" I said in a low tone. A heavy sigh left my lips as I supported the weight of my body leaning on the counter. In a swift motion, the glass was up to my lips, head back, chugging away.
                                                                                ~~~~~~

Ring Ring Ring

My eyes flew open, regret...instant regret..shut your fucking eyes. The dim lighting in the living room felt like the sun blinding me. Taking in my surroundings, I noticed I was lying on the barcalounger with the half-emptied bottle of scotch tucked away under my arm like a security blanket and it was still dark outside. Then they darted to my phone that was face down on the side table next to me.

"Shit", I muttered as the screen lit up in my hand.

Three missed calls...it's 9:30. Fuck! I don't even remember making my way back into the living room.

I had stopped counting how many drinks I had after 4. The burn that I was so thankful for earlier had turned numb. Thankfully, I only stumbled slightly as I made my way off of the barcalounger and stood upright. That was my second mistake of the night. My body instinctively hunched over as I felt the bile rising up. Inhaling and exhaling through my nose was the only temporary remedy I could find.

Ring Ring Ring

"Ouch!" the pounding in my head only got worse. A breath left my mouth as I picked up the phone praying to God I sounded normal, "Hello."

A woman with a thick Spanish accent came through the phone with clear concern laced in her voice, "Mrs. Carso? It's 9:30 and no one has come to get Paige."

I must have drank more than I thought, I couldn't even register who was on the other end for several seconds, "Mrs. Carso?".

"Um, y-yea, Madrid I-I'm coming."

The sentence came out strangled as I felt the scotch trying to make its way back up.

"You sound a bit under the weather, are you sure you don't want me to call Mr. Carso instead."

Tight knots knitted away in my stomach at the mention of that man. The amount of alcohol I had wasn't helping the feeling disappear anytime soon. Though it sobered me for a split second because words escaped my mouth as my eyes widened with fear that she might do such a thing. My hand waved in front of me as if she could see me and I would be able to physically stop her, "No, no, no, no don't call my husband. I just lost track of time. I'll be there in a few minutes."

Not wasting another moment, I hung up without a goodbye. I went to the closet and grabbed my jacket and keys. The feeling in my head was enough to let me know I wouldn't be able to drive anytime soon. I put my hand to my mouth and scrunched my nose as I smelled the alcohol on my breath. Quickly, I ran to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator and some leftover gum that was thankfully on the table.