Chapter 61-Jonathan

"Mr. Moralez, I'd like you to meet the lawyer that will be handling any and all business agreements and legal cases on your behalf, Jonathan Carso." Mr. Moralez leaned in to shake my hand before we took our seats. Mr. Haufman at the head of the table, with me on his right and Mr. Moralez with whom I assume is his assistant on his left.

Mr. Moralez looked like a strong business man. Made sense how he was able to build such a lucrative career throughout the years.

"Pleasure to meet you Jonathan. This is my assistant and right hand, Daniel. Any and all business documents and information that you need, he's your man. I trust you are up to speed with my business strategies and deals that I would like to make this coming year."

Mr. Haufman looked at me to take the lead, "Yes, Mr. Moralez. My team and I have been very diligent and actually came up with a course of action to get you the best deal out of the negotiations that you will be having during this expansion." I layed out copies of the strategies to both of them.

As they looked through, I continued, "As expressed in the files you are looking to take this expansion global and are in the process of solidifying the last few deals within the U.S."

"That is correct."

"Looking at the numbers, your company stands to make a considerable amount of revenue. You have a lot of leverage here with the companies overseas. I did comparisons between you and other companies that you may be in competition with and fortunately for you, you haven't had a single lawsuit against your company. Already with your reputation alone you stand out compared to your counterparts." Mateo's face beamed with pride as I boasted his accomplishments.

Continuing with my presentation, I could tell that Mateo was impressed. After talking numbers and accolades, it was time to move onto the next subject.

"You also mentioned that you will be naming your successor?" I asked, reorganizing the papers into my folder.

"Yes."

I leaned forward folding my hands together. "May I ask why? Given the trajectory of your company, I couldn't imagine wanting to hand it off."

"Mr. Carso, I have been in this business for many years and believe that it is time. I love what I have built and I couldn't think of anything better than to get some fresh blood in there. The right fresh set of eyes and appreciation for the company could bring things to the table that I can't."

"Is this person blood related?" I questioned. That would make sense passing it down to a relative.

"No, more like a family friend." Must be a hell of a family friend.

"And you trust this friend?"

"Yes, he has been doing very good work for me."

"What is his background within the business so far?"

"He is what you would call... a grease monkey. He's doing what I started doing, fixing the cars myself until I decided I wanted something more."

Mateo Moralez  was an anomaly, the fact he was able to climb the corporate ladder in the time that he did was short of a miracle. Now another guy was trying to accomplish the same thing. Which meant I was definitely going to have my work cut out for me.

"Naming a successor is a very big deal for your business. The last thing we would want is for potential developers to back out of dealings with you because you are no longer calling the shots. Being introduced to a new face in a working relationship can often cause unease. We want to make sure this is a smooth transition. That being said, does he have anything experience in the corporate world? We don't want the board questioning his capabilities."