Chapter 36-Martha

Holding a load of cases that needed to be filed, I walked up to the counter seeing Lori typing away on the computer. We were both working the overnight shift and I knew we'd be going on our coffee break soon. I plopped the files down in front of her and turned my head to the side, noticing a mixture bouquet of red roses and white lilies in a vase with a bow and a card.

My body stilled and warmth filled my chest as I stared at them. "Who-who sent those?"

Lori glanced up, "Umm, not sure." I knew they were for me but the question was who was sending them.

I hastily grabbed the card and opened it: Mar, I'm so sorry —Ry

Looking back up to admire the flowers with the card in my hand I couldn't help but feel a little choked up. After two years of me thinking he hated me, he goes and shows me just how much he never forgot anything about me.

"What does it say?" Lori asked hesitantly.

I let out a slight chuckle and rolled my eyes, "Please, I'm sure you read it before I got here."

"I am offended that you would think that I would—" Raising my eyebrow at her cut her off mid sentence and she gave up the act, "Okay fine. I read it."

"I can't believe he sent these." I said admiring the bouquet.

"I can, they are beautiful." Lori commented.

Ignoring the first part of her comment, I took a deep breath, letting the scent of roses and lilies fill me as I sighed in content. "They're my favorites."

~~~~~~

Twenty-five patients and twenty-five binders, that's what my night was filled with. Lori and I would switch off between rounds and filing the paperwork. Finishing the last sip of my coffee, I held the cup staring at it. "Why did you finish?" I whined.

"I thought you slept in the on-call room." Lori said beside me, filling out one of her last binders.

I tossed the coffee cup in the trash before getting up and stretching, "Barely, I got called when that emergency in 215 happened."

"Oh yea, didn't that just turn out to be that the new nurse, Peggy, couldn't find the 18 gauge needle."

"Yup... turned out she was holding it the entire time." I rolled my eyes, groaning again, "What time is it?"

Lori turned her arm and examined the watch on her wrist, "6 am, the new round of nurses should be here to relieve us in a few minutes."

I dramatically collapsed the top half of my body on the counter, "Oh thank God, I need to sleep."

"Why don't you get a head start, I'll let them know where we left off."

"Really?!," I said, popping up, "Oh, I love you."

"I know... don't forget your flowers." she sang. I turned around slightly embarrassed and quickly grabbed the vase. I was becoming quite acquainted with the feeling of my cheeks being in a sauna. The last time this happened as often as it did I was a teenager.

~~~~~~

Seeing my favorite flowers sitting in the passenger seat had me elated. Though when I made it home, I noticed a car in the driveway. It was the same black ford I had seen every morning when I kissed my husband goodbye. I parked my car in front of the house and made my way to the door. Before I could open the front door it opened to reveal a very nervous looking Jonathan.

"Jonathan, what are you doing here?" The overnight shift kicked my ass. I was tired and didn't appreciate him being in the house.

He was rubbing the back of his neck and leaning on the doorframe. He eyed the vase of flowers in my hand but quickly moved on, "I know, you weren't expecting me but I figured you were on your way home anyway and I could just wait here."