Ch.30

The funeral was beautiful

The funeral was beautiful. It was summertime and the trees were in full bloom. The air was fresh and a cool breeze traveled in the air.

She would've liked it.

Majority of her coworkers came to show their sympathies and some came because they actually knew her. I had Eric and Ambrosia by my side keeping me together. He was fresh out of the hospital and was being pushed around in his very own wheelchair. Seeing him like this hurt like hell. I've always had to look up to him and now I could do that for a while. It's gonna take some getting used to.

I was even surprised when my dad shows up and shed a few tears.

I couldn't bring myself to read the obituary. It was too much too soon. I hadn't stopped crying since we pulled up. Being surrounded by other people who loved me was the only reason I made it out of bed this morning.

In a flash it was all over. I couldn't remember a thing except throwing a rose on top of her casket and watching her go into the ground.

We were having the repass at our house while My mom's was getting set up to be sold. No way in hell was I keeping that place. Dad was staying there and overseeing things while we waited. Made no sense.

All day long people I knew and didn't know told me they were sorry for my loss. They shook my hand or kissed my check and expressed their condolences. I hated it. I hated that I needed it. I hated that my mom was no longer here with me.

I needed a break.

I escaped out into the back yard. Ambrosia and Eric promised to try and keep people away from me while I sat outside. They were the greatest thing to ever happen to me and my backbone at this moment.

I know Ambrosia still felt guilty for what happened, but so did I. We accepted this man into our home and into our life. We thought he was a nice guy, but we were fooled. I was fooled. I should've known better. I was just happy that my mom finally found someone who could make her happy. She needed it and I didn't want to stand in her way. I should've stood in more. The. Maybe she wouldn't have fallen for his sweet lies.

I found a random stone and tossed into the trees. Maybe it his somebody's house, maybe it didn't. I really didn't give a fuck.

My instincts were all wrong about Larry - or should I say Michael. He didn't throw off the serial killer vibe. I was probably just too blind to notice. I hadn't spent much time around him anyway. But people like that you should be able to tell right off the bat, right? I didn't. He was a stranger even to the end.

Every time I looked down at my hands I could still see the blood on them. Hers and some of his. When he shot her...my heart felt like it exploded. He had done it so swiftly and without remorse. A true monster. Holding her lifeless body so close to mine as if I could give her some of my life force. After that all I saw was black. I hadn't realized what I had done until I was standing in the middle of the room, Ambrosia staring at me with so much fear and a dead body at my feet. I barely had time to focus on Eric also laying lifeless in her arms before I blacked out again. I was awake but I didn't know what the hell was going on.