Part 16

From out of the shadows, a thin hand reached out and grasped ahold of the crumbling brick wall before them. With their face firmly on the house in front, they watched like a hawk. They waited, and soon enough a figure ran out, followed by another. A smile formed on Thor face, they were close. They were here.

They had finally found him.

——

With his head down, he pushed open the door as quietly as he could manage, afraid of disturbing you further. You were sitting upright on the sofa, listening intently to the news. He watched you, admiring the little things about you. How your eyebrows furrowed when you were concentrating, and the hidden passion and fight behind your eyes.

He hated lying to you. But he knew if you knew who he was, you would turn on him. It was too god to be true to find a woman (?) like yourself to love, and in return be loved.  It was stupid - he knew - but he felt that strongly about you already.

He was so absorbed by your natural beauty, he didn't hear the new article on the tv.

" is it too good to be true? Tony Stark could still be alive?"

He heard you gasp, and move that bit close to the tv screen, almost falling off the edge of the sofa as you were perched so near to the edge.

Tony Stark - Ironman was your hero. He was the only avenger who seemed human. Of course you loved the black widow and bruce banner /the hulk just as much, but there was something about the almost poetic nature of the suit. Born out of a cave where nothing would survive. A symbol of hope. The only one forced into the role. The one who suffered result but didn't seem to show it.

" In the last few days, the most loyal Tony Stark fans are taking to the media - sharing their own Theory's about the sudden disappearance of the Ironman. Now that he isn't here to save us, can the others  do a good enough job of keeping us all safe? Next here tonight we have...."

You sighed and threw yourself back against the sofa, your head leaning back looking over the back. Your eye caught sight of the man behind it, and your eyes lit up.

" Howard!" You jumped up and raced round the chair to greet him in the doorway.

" hey," he replied as you threw your arms around him, pulling him into a hug. He stiffened initially, but soon melted into the embrace, placing his hands on your back and pulling you further towards him. He rested  his face in your neck, enjoying your warmth, fighting off another round of tears that threatens to fall. All too soon you were pulling away.

You studied his face.

" are you okay?" You asked, your vice soft and filed with concern.

" always," he said

' always, when I'm with you,' he couldn't quiet bring himself to say just yet. But it didn't make it anymore true.