Chapter 7, Be a dear and just play with your dolls

Adora's pov

We stepped into the blinding florescent lights of the Wal-Mart lobby. Catra grabbed a large cart and pushed it at me. I caught it easily. Her movement was easy to read because it was labored, and she had a dumb smile plastered on her face.

"You thought you could catch me off guard? Really, I'm th-" 

Catra vaulted into the cart, then looked up at me. She had a child like smile now, but it quickly turned into her flirty smirk.

"The best athlete to exist? Mush, horse, mush," she laughed.

I thought she was joking, but her expression was stone cold serious.

So i started to 'mush'.

She pointed where she wanted to go, and I just followed her finger. Almost like babies when their moms take them shopping for the first time.  I glanced down at her and saw a sliver of uncovered stomach through the tangle of crop top and zippers of her jacket.

"Hey Catra," she looked up at me," Nice abs." 

She chuckled and grabbed at her chest dramatically," I didn't think you of all people would use my own line against me!" She then dramatically fell backward, covering her forehead with the back of her hand, like a fainting last in a Shakespeare play. 

She did have nice abs, at least from what I could tell, but something worried me. She has scars of varying ages all over her stomach. Some fadded, some still purple and iridescent. It was a sharp contrast to her tanned skin.

It made me sick to look at. 

 She noticed something was wrong but didn't say anything. She didn't seem like the kind of person who would.

My thoughts were interrupted when she lept out of the cart. She was very fast and agile. Catra put her head under my shoulder and lifted me up, then gently dropped me in the cart. She was too quick for my burnt out body to care, let alone resist, so I just laughed.

It seemed like an oxymoron, but she was gentler than I think anyone expected she would be. Her exterior was so gruff. I knew  her hands were calloused from the few times I touched them, yet they were still so soft.

I leaned back and looked at her. Catra furrowed her brows and pulled the hoody over my eyes. I hardly had enough time to uncover them before she started sprinting to the toy section. She drifted around corners so fast I could feel the cart tipping over. I seriously thought I would die in a shopping cart at the kids section in a Wal-Mart.

We stopped at the Barbie aisle. She panted and pointed at the wall of pink dresses and fake hair.

"You were serious?" I raised an eyebrow,  and she nodded . 

I looked at them carefully and chose a blond one with short hair. Barbie was releasing new more inclusive dolls, and I liked the one with the short hair and flannel. 

"You got it, princess," she picked it up and handed to me.

Her hands lingered for a moment on the doll. She skin was close to mine. Like a ghost. So much for tough cold blooded killer. she's a literal baby. Bow was way far off the mark with this one. If her could see her now, he'd lose it.