𝟎𝟗 | why him?

𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒋𝒐𝒉𝒏 𝒎𝒖𝒓𝒑𝒉𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆?∘◦ ✾ ◦∘_______ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘

_______

"i'm murphy, you'll be okay."

she could see his blue eyes staring right back down at her, watching her go in and out of consciousness, and there was nothing he could do but wait for this girl's mother to arrive with help.

WITH A GASP MAY SAT UP FROM THE GROUND, pure darkness consumed her sight, and she panicked for a moment, before her realization came in that she was in her tent, with her tent mate krystal passed out beside her curled up in blankets.

so her breaths slowed down, and as she laid back down and stared at the tent fabric above her, she started to desperately dig through her brain to find that familiar face. was it—john murphy?

may fernsby let out a breath of shock when she realized, was it a forgotten memory, or a dream? that was something that kept her awake until the sun rose, when she decided to get up and start her day.

.⋆。⋆༶⋆˙⊹—

may slowly sat down in the chair, a small screen right in front of her. she was called in next by miller to talk to her mother, she was excited, but nervous. and thank god for raven that she was able to set up screens to talk to her mother.

she grabbed the small pair of headphones and placed them over her earlobes, breathing slowly, waiting for her mother. today, she woke up instantly tired due to her anemia, she tried going back to sleep but she was restless thinking about the familiar face she recognized as murphy. so she was stuck awake, even though she wished to be sleeping.

her mom suddenly appeared on the screen, which snapping her back into reality. a smile beamed across may's face, "mom!"

jenna fernsby smiled at the sight of seeing her daughter alive, "hi baby, how you feeling?"

may shrugged, "i'm pulling through, it hasn't been easy down here without treatment." she replied, her tone slightly bitter. she was angered that she had to pull through like this, that she was sent to the ground with nothing to help her when the chancellor knew of her condition.

her mother let out a sigh, nodding in understanding, "look may, i understand, i know. but i couldn't do anything at the time alright?" the mother felt sadness in her heart when she took in her daughters features, she was paler then when she last saw her, her hair was shiny and knotted as well.

jenna scratched her forehead, "is a john murphy there?"

may furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, why would her mother worry about him? "what about him?" she queried, suspicion growing inside her. jenna shook her head, mentally hitting herself for asking a stupid question, she should've known it was be too obvious, "no reason, we're sort of keeping track of everyone here, is he in camp?"

may shook her head, the memories of what happened to him floating around in her mind, "he's not here but—" she sighed, continuing to talk before her mother could but in, "he isn't dead but it's complicated and i'll explain later." she paused, "how the hell do you know him?"

jenna sighed, her husband had always urged her to be honest with him and their daughter, and a lot of times she wasn't, but now, she knew she had to be truly honest, because for whatever reason, he wasn't there.

"alright fine." jenna reluctantly confided, "i knew of jaha's plans days before he shipped you off, and to make sure you were okay, i asked murphy to keep an eye out for you down there."

may jerked her head back, confusion spread across her pale face, "what? why him?"

"because he was there, may." she hesitantly explained, "he was there when you cut too deep. i found you and went for help, he was the only one in the hallways, so while i went to get help he helped stop the bleeding—saved your life."

may couldn't believe it, john knew her but she didn't know him, and what she dreamt of last night wasn't a dream, it was a memory, of him. he took care of her when he didn't have to, that misunderstood boy with a hardened exterior took care of her, saved her life. it was hard to believe, and she wanted it to be a lie but she could tell by her mothers face, she wasn't lying.

(gif is of may talking to her mother)